The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC/WideFS control over PM EICAS

Dear Peter, I'm in need to switch the PM EICAS Synoptics page from the server, and therefore I looked at the FSUIPC and WideFS documentation.

I think I found a couple good methods, butI'm having problems with both.

a) Dedicating a key via FSUIPC doesn't work, despite that I have associated the right (I think) command, that's "PM EICAS Syn decrease" (or "increase", whatever ...); other EICAS commands DO work, for instance I can switch the controls on and off, switch the cabin signs on and off, etcwas there a change in PM offsets that maybe you were not notified ? It looks like that's the only PM command which FSUIPC doesn't issue...

b) Via KeySend, the problem is that the keystroke to be evoked on the client is CTrl-TAB, and think I didn't find the way to specify the Keysend codes for that (looks like TAB key is missing, just can't see a code for it).

Sorry for not being able to solve this by myself ...

Regards,

Eugenio.

Dedicating a key via FSUIPC doesn't work, despite that I have associated the right (I think) command, that's "PM EICAS Syn decrease" (or "increase", whatever ...); other EICAS commands DO work, for instance I can switch the controls on and off, switch the cabin signs on and off, etcwas there a change in PM offsets that maybe you were not notified ? It looks like that's the only PM command which FSUIPC doesn't issue...

I don't think that's possible, they are all table driven and use the same piece of simple code. There's a whole bunch which affect PM offset 5424, documented as follows (source PM FSUIPC offsets in the Project Magenta documentation web page):

Glass Cockpit Selectors (Read/Write)

Bit 0 Show Controls on engine page

1 Show Standby Gauge on engine page

2 Engine Page Decrement

3 Engine Page Increment

4 Synoptic Page Decrement

5 Synoptic Page Increment

6 PLAN mode selected waypoint Decrement

7 PLAN mode selected waypoint Increment

Those FSUIPC controls simple set bits 4 and 5 in this word, exactly as (still) documented in PM specs. If they are not working for you, then either there are no alternative synoptics (yet) provided for your aircraft type (e.g. the 737, which has none in reality in any case but I think Enrico is working on some fictional ones), OR the build of the PM PFD.EXE/DLL you are using has a bug.

Either way, your proper course of action is to ask PM support or go via the PM Newsgroups.

For any of the built-in PM functions in FSUIPC, you can easily check yourself whether FSUIPC is up to scratch by using the Monitor facilities (on the Logging options tab, right-hand side) to see the changes in the documented offset -- the PM offsets documentation is freely available to all on the PM site. If you use PM's CDU you can also check offsets there.

Via KeySend, the problem is that the keystroke to be evoked on the client is CTrl-TAB, and think I didn't find the way to specify the Keysend codes for that (looks like TAB key is missing, just can't see a code for it).

It isn't a good method using key presses -- best to get the direct control working. However, if you want to try it the tab code is 9. Thanks for pointing out its omission in the WideFS documentation -- I'll add it. It is deliberately missing in the FSUIPC Advanced guide as in FSUIPC it is used as a shift and cannot be specified as the main key.

Regards,

Pete

Those FSUIPC controls simple set bits 4 and 5 in this word, exactly as (still) documented in PM specs. If they are not working for you, then either there are no alternative synoptics (yet) provided for your aircraft type (e.g. the 737, which has none in reality in any case but I think Enrico is working on some fictional ones), OR the build of the PM PFD.EXE/DLL you are using has a bug.

None of the two:

- if I hit Ctrl-TAB on the client's keyboard, it DOES display me the Boeing 777 Synoptics, or the Airbus ECAM pages;

- I always download and use the latest build of theirs, like I do with yours ...

It isn't a good method using key presses -- best to get the direct control working. However, if you want to try it the tab code is 9

Well, the second method isn't working either.

I have set (in client.ini)

ActiveKeys=Yes

SendKey4=9,10 (that's Ctrl-TAB?)

and I have dedicated a key combination within FSUIPC on the server to evoke SendKey number four, as well.

All I get is that widefs takes away Window's focus from the Project Magenta module, and nothing more. :shock:

And if I press Ctrl-TAb on the client's keyboard, it works :evil:

Dont' know what else to think.

Last question, Pete: how do I get to shut down the PM Glass Cockpit modules from the server, via SendKey ?

Thanks for your (precious) time.

:wink:

None of the two:

- if I hit Ctrl-TAB on the client's keyboard, it DOES display me the Boeing 777 Synoptics, or the Airbus ECAM pages;

Yes, I believe those have synoptics. I'm a 737 flyer myself.

Well, the second method isn't working either.

I have set (in client.ini)

ActiveKeys=Yes

SendKey4=9,10 (that's Ctrl-TAB?)

and I have dedicated a key combination within FSUIPC on the server to evoke SendKey number four, as well.

Well I'm not surprised. WideClient knows neither of those keywords. Please check the WideFS documentation where it is all expalined with examples.

All I get is that widefs takes away Window's focus from the Project Magenta module, and nothing more. :shock:

You have to direct the keypress to the correct program. You can do that using class names, but it is far easier and more reliable to get WideClient to load your program so it knows the process and can be precise. Please review the documentation on this. It is all there.

I still think you be far better off using the proper controls for this. If the bits documented by Enrico aren't working for you, report this to support@projectmagenta.com so it will be looked at. Or at least ask advice from others via the PM newsgroup/forum. That is by far the more appropiate place. I cannot support PM myself.

Last question, Pete: how do I get to shut down the PM Glass Cockpit modules from the server, via SendKey ?

There's nothing called "SendKey", and anyway, why use any keyboard method when WideFS provides ShutDown facilities built in? Please please look at the documentation for this. Just have Wideclient load your programs and allow the shut downs.

I really cannot reproduce the documentation here. Your questions really do indicate you've not looked very far. I can answer specific questions, but not those much better covered in writing already. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

:oops: Oops, Peter …

I’m afraid that – being away from the “flying” pc at home – I was quite inaccurate and casual in reporting what I had done with WideClient.

In fact I could get to running the PM Glass Cockpit module of my choice (Boeing, Airbus or RJ) via RunKey1, 2 and 3, and this means that I could correctly write “ActionKeys” instead of “ActiveKeys”, and “KeySend” instead of “SendKey” as wellsorry for the confusion I made, I am not so“undocumented” !!!

I wanted to know what was the opposite WideFs procedure, that is to close the PM modules by leaving WideFS running, that’s why write I wrote to you rather than to the PM people ...

I’ve read about Close and CloseReady, and I must confess that I could not understand the difference, and I guess this is – maybe – because the text explaining the two options is absolutely the same.

I don’t want WideClient to end before or with those other programs, so I’m rather intested in the chance of the PM Glass Cockpits shutting down (quote) “when requested by an appropriate KeySend. This is performed by sending the program’s Windows a WM_CLOSE message, so if it ignores these, or has no Windows defined, this won’t work.”: okay, good.

But I still have no idea – even after reading the rest of the instructions- if I must use a Close or a CloseReady command, and above all what is the appropriate KeySend and its syntax.

Hope things are clearer now, and thank you very much for helping: I posted on the forum only after I had read the whole docs, had made some tries, and still could not understand why something was working and something not ...

Regards,

Eugenio

p.s. and - since I am using RunKey1, 2 and 3, with those PM modules - perhaps I can get to send the Ctrl-TAB I need to switch the EICAS pages, by simply adding to a KeySend3, 4 and 5, after my 9,10 (Ctrl-Tab) a RunKey1, 2 or 3 parameter, without dealing with class names ?

I’ve read about Close and CloseReady, and I must confess that I could not understand the difference, and I guess this is – maybe – because the text explaining the two options is absolutely the same.

CloseReady refers to programs started by RunReady, whilst Close refers to those started by Run. You can have up to 9 of each, so it needs to know which ones you are on about. See? Surely the documentation isn't that obscure?

There's no difference in the way they are closed, only in the way they are run in the first place. There are also up to 9 "RunKey" programs, so of the 27 possible programs running, WideClient has to differentiate!

I’m rather intested in the chance of the PM Glass Cockpits shutting down (quote) “when requested by an appropriate KeySend. This is performed by sending the program’s Windows a WM_CLOSE message, so if it ignores these, or has no Windows defined, this won’t work.”: okay, good.

But I still have no idea – even after reading the rest of the instructions- if I must use a Close or a CloseReady command, and above all what is the appropriate KeySend and its syntax.

Oh dear.

If you want to close them via KeySend, please read the section Running and stopping programs via KeySend requests.

p.s. and - since I am using RunKey1, 2 and 3, with those PM modules - perhaps I can get to send the Ctrl-TAB I need to switch the EICAS pages, by simply adding to a KeySend3, 4 and 5, after my 9,10 (Ctrl-Tab) a RunKey1, 2 or 3 parameter, without dealing with class names ?

Well, yes but I am still very insistent that the PM controls for this, published by PM and always working as far as I know until you discovered they are not, should be made to work. PLEASE REPORT THIS to PM Support, rather than simply finding poorer alternatives. If you don't report errors they never get fixed. It is really VERY important!

But this is a surprise tooYou are actually starting the programs with keypresses as well? Why so complicated? Isn't the normal starting when FS is ready (RunReady) good enough?

And if you have managed to understand that, really more complex, part, how is it you don't understand the simple association of "CloseXXXN" with their "RunXXXN" counterparts? (XXX being Ready or Key or nothing).

There are just 27 programs started and closed. 9 of then by "Run1-Run9" and "Close1-Close9", 9 by "RunRead1-RunReady9" and "CloseReady1-CloseReady9" and 9 by "RunKey1-RunKey9" and "CloseKey1-CloseKey9".

Just be consistent in how you refer to them in the KeySend lines as well. Would you understand it more if they were numbered 1-27 instead, with different actions according to numbers? I thought using English words in the parameter names might help.

Sometimes I truly regret adding so many facilities. Too much choice and folks don't know what to do. :-(

Regards,

Pete

:cry: Dear Peter, I couldn't imagine you would have been so dedicated to understanding and helping this poor soul(the same crazy one who asked you to be - vocally - a first officer for the flight sim community, remember ?)

There is something you may need to know.

I am looking for a way to decide, after FS is running, which kind of Glass Cockpit I need for the aircraft I will use.

So I need an option, and this was offered to me - very simply and "manually" - by KeySend.

I wish I was so witty to find a way to tell WideClient to start automatically either the ABGC, if it sees I'm flying an Airbus, or the PFD if I'm flying a Boeing, or the RJ if I'm flying a regional jet ...

That's why RunKey seemed to me the best option available.

Yes, despite my low IQ for these technical things I can see why you have 9 places for each of the three categories of "run" programs and no, I wouldn't want you to mix all thingsthey already seemed quite mixed up to me !!!

I think I have lost the fact that I simply need - to counterpart the CloseKeyN=Yes - a KeySendN=CloseKeyN, like KeySEndN=RunKeyN matched RunKeyN=path\programis this correct ?

I wish the section "Running and stopping programs via KeySend requests" contained a couple examplesthis would prevent people like me to make you lose some time (I hope it's a fading species ...)

As for the EICAS/ECAM pages, to me it looked like there was no equivalent FSUIPC offset to match the Ctrl-Tab command directly, simply because:

- CTrl-Tab works for both Boeing Synoptics and Airbus ECAM, and

- it works like a "cycling" command.

And when I first tried using the Syn Increas/Decrease direct offset (2164/2165), by assigning it a key combination in FS via FSUIPC, it simply didn't workthat's when I looked at KeySend as a quick fix.

And if this will work, thanks to your help, I am probably not gonna look back !!!

Forgive me about thisI feel sorry enough about this everlasting dialogue with you, let alone to go and bother other people !!!

Maybe I'll drop you a final line after this weekend, when - hopefully - everything has fallen into its place ...

:roll:

:wink:

Regards,

Eugenio.

I am looking for a way to decide, after FS is running, which kind of Glass Cockpit I need for the aircraft I will use.

So I need an option, and this was offered to me - very simply and "manually" - by KeySend.

Okay, I seemost unusual though. ;-)

I think I have lost the fact that I simply need - to counterpart the CloseKeyN=Yes - a KeySendN=CloseKeyN, like KeySEndN=RunKeyN matched RunKeyN=path\programis this correct ?

Yes, that's it.

And when I first tried using the Syn Increas/Decrease direct offset (2164/2165), by assigning it a key combination in FS via FSUIPC, it simply didn't workthat's when I looked at KeySend as a quick fix.

Have you re-checked it? Did you ask PM Support if not? I don't see anything which is aircraft-type specific for those particular bits.

But the equivalent to Ctrl+Tab is probably one of the offset 04F4 controls (FSUIPC control 2999 "PM GC Controls"). There are incr engine page (20) and decr engine page (21). Maybe you can try those?

Regards

Pete