The simFlight Network Forums

Hi Pete

3 or 4 years back you very kindly discussed PFC with me (in Compuserve days). I bought the single P F Console and have been very pleased with it.

Sadly it has recently failed and I am finding the support dialogue (sometimes lack of it!) very frustrating. Sorry to trouble you but I am just wondering if you know of anyone in this country who can service this equipment. The last constructive comment I had from California was that I needed a replacement control panel. Perhaps there is someone in the UK who can service that panel.

Best regards

Frank

I am just wondering if you know of anyone in this country who can service this equipment. The last constructive comment I had from California was that I needed a replacement control panel. Perhaps there is someone in the UK who can service that panel.

Sorry, no. I've replaced parts in PFC things myself -- they send the part with instructions, often with photos, to show you what to do. If it's the control board they mean (don't see why a panel would fail) then that's the electronic motherboard with all the main stuff on it. It is probably cheaper to replace the whole board rather than determine which specific component is at fault. I don't think you'd find it too hard to do, but you'll need the part sent over.

Whereabouts are you in the UK? I might be able to help, but I don't travel.

[Later] Oh, I see, way down south. That's unfortunate.

[Later still ...] I just remembered that there was a stand at last year's Blackpool FS exhibition with loads of PFC gear on it, so someone in the UK most certainly does sell it and so may be able to service it. I'm sorry, but I don't recall the name at all. Maybe a web search will find them, or ask the Blackpool conference organisers.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I must just be patient and persistent. Maybe I'll phone them.

Also I'll try to contact Blackpool organisers as you suggest. I did consider going up to Blackpool this year but it is a long way. At 72 I begin to feel less inclined to do such trips.

Best regards

Frank

Thanks, Pete. I must just be patient and persistent. Maybe I'll phone them.

One of their big problems is few staff and many commitments. From the quality and variety of their product you'd be surprised (I was) at the small size of the company. Not only that, but it seems that a lot of the time the relevant guys are out at exhibitions and so on.

When they are in they are pretty responsive -- Eric, the mainstay of the technical support side, works really hard and can be seen here in this Forum now and then. Hopefully he will actually see this thread and get back to you. Note that I too have to exercise patience at times: it can be days to a week or so before a response, on occasions.

Regards,

Pete

I was guessing that to be the case.

It is a beautifully engineered product, but it is frustrating to look at it in dead mode. "For want of a nail........" When they do respond they are very helpful. Eric took me through a simple problem with a dislodged spring to one of the throttle pistons about 2 years ago, but I sense he is rushed off his feet most times too.

For the time being I am having to make do with my Logitech Freedom 2.4 which is quite a nice joystick.

Thanks again

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Pete

Just to thank you again. Patience was rewarded and a replacement Controller arrived on Tuesday. A friend, who is expert with solder work on control boards and the like, did the tricky bit , and I had the fiddly job of reconnecting the many small wires.

Eric was very helpful throughout with instant responses to questions about panel differences etc.

Best regards

Frank

Just to thank you again. Patience was rewarded and a replacement Controller arrived on Tuesday. A friend, who is expert with solder work on control boards and the like, did the tricky bit , and I had the fiddly job of reconnecting the many small wires.

Hi Frank, glad everything worked out well!

Eric was very helpful throughout with instant responses to questions about panel differences etc.

Yes, he's a very nice gentleman. We had the pleasure of him staying with us recently and hope to again in the not too distant future!

BTW, I spotted an advert in Computer Pilot from a company in the UK that does actually sell PFC gear -- see http://www.aviationsimulation.co.uk. I think they must be the ones who had a stand at Blackpool -- or it might have been the RC Simulations show down in Birmingham now I think about it!

Best regards,

Pete