The simFlight Network Forums

New registered widefs user: Usefull utilities+fssoft for it?

Hi all,

I had installed today my registered widefs server-client software and it was like magic watch how fsmeteo was able to change my weather on my fs server from the client .

Congratulations and thanks for it!

Can anybody tell me if there is available any list of interesting utillities and or fs software usefull for a client PC running WideFs?, eg: rana Inside moving map, etc,?

I will appreciate any tip and recommendation on this matter to explode the capabillities of this software.

My best regards.

Mario

Can anybody tell me if there is available any list of interesting utillities and or fs software usefull for a client PC running WideFs?, eg: rana Inside moving map, etc,?

WideFS is merely a Network extension of the FSUIPC interface, so almost any external program which interfaces to FS via FSUIPC will run on a client PC. There are a few exceptions, where programs rely on direct local access to other things in FS's folders, but very few have such needs and some that do have ways around it provided or documented.

If you look to the list on the right-hand side of the http://www.schiratti.com/dowson page then many of those will work on a client. Not the aircraft, of course, nor any programs which are not actually externals but run inside FS, like FSNavigator and gauges.

The external programs I use across WideFS are:

ActiveSky or FSMeteo

FS FlightKeeper (highly recommended, includes moving map))

TrafficBoard

FS Real Time

AI Smooth

Radar Contact (better ATC than FS's)

ShowText (from inside my AdvDisplay package)

SA_WXR (weather radar)

and also the entire Project Magenta suite -- the CDU, PFD/ND/EICAS, MCP, plus pmSystems and pmSounds.

For mapping programs which aren't written specifically for FS, like Memory Map Navigator, Jeppesen FliteMap, even AutoRoute and so on, you need a serial link connectd, and then you use GPSout instead. Such programs naturally have no FSUIPC interface and in general the only way to input positional information is via their GPS input option.

I'm afraid I don't know Rana Inside Moving Map so I couldn't say which solution fits.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete.

thanks for your replay...I didn´t know that RC can be running on a client PC through widefs. I already have it , but I instaled it a few days ago...wonderfull.

I have fsmeteo too.

I have to add two titles to your list , FDC Live cockpit can be runned through Wfs and Rana Inside FSManager+MMap too (I was checking the setup at rana web site as dave march site and forum)

Thanks for the tips again!

Mario

I didn´t know that RC can be running on a client PC through widefs. I already have it , but I instaled it a few days ago...wonderfull.

Yes, and the big advantage then is that you get ATC voiced through separate speakers (from the sound card on the Client PC), and can have it through a headset if you like.

Regards,

Pete