The simFlight Network Forums

Externally controlling MSFS entities

I apologize if this isn't a new subject, I'm pretty new to the flight sim world. I recently bought a smartphone which led me to AirPlan which led me to GPSout.dll which led me to MSFS 04. I work with Link 16 applications (real world JTIDS/MIDS) and was happy to find that I can now "drive" a datalink radio using the existing NMEA 183 interface one of our host systems has. Of course, playing MSFS in the office generated some attention. The next step is now getting Link data into MSFS. That seems easy enough - sending packet data emulating another MSFS user in Multiplayer mode, we'd send course, speed, lat/long, alt and some mapping to equate a platform type to an MSFS aircraft (or ship) model. However, everything I've seen thus far indicates this method (mimicking Multiplayer) is limited to 16 different addresses (16 different "players"). The genesis of this long statement/question is this:

1. Am I wrong about only being able to link 16 players together in Multiplayer mode?

2. Is it possible to use FSUPIC or some other module to gain access to AI aircraft while running the sim and provide them initialization info (aircraft type) and navigation data (anywhere from 8hz to 1/12hz)?

However, everything I've seen thus far indicates this method (mimicking Multiplayer) is limited to 16 different addresses (16 different "players"). The genesis of this long statement/question is this:

1. Am I wrong about only being able to link 16 players together in Multiplayer mode?

I'm sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about Multiplayer. If that limit is specified in the MS SDK for it then I expect it must be true. Maybe there's someone here who will know, but you may find more in the way of MP expertise on the Squawkbox or other on-line flyers' forums.

2. Is it possible to use FSUPIC or some other module to gain access to AI aircraft while running the sim and provide them initialization info (aircraft type) and navigation data (anywhere from 8hz to 1/12hz)?

No, the AI aircraft and their routes are defined by a BGL (scenery-type) file. There are primitive facilities in FSUIPC for influencing them a little, but nothing like you want. Multiplayer is the only way.

Regards,

Pete