The simFlight Network Forums

Reality XP GPS530 and WideFS

Hi

Do you now about an issue using Reality XP Garmin 530 and WideFS ?

I have been trying for the past days and my WideFS computer after a few

minutes gets a lag of 10 to 15 seconds.

My config :

Server : running FS2004 with Reality XP Gramin 530 as a gauge.

Client : running WideFS with project magenta GAIFR

In advance Thanks

Ian Bennett

Do you now about an issue using Reality XP Garmin 530 and WideFS ?

Does that work with WideFS? I didn't think any RealityXP programs used FSUIPC. Don't they interface directly into FS?

I have been trying for the past days and my WideFS computer after a few minutes gets a lag of 10 to 15 seconds.

My config :

Server : running FS2004 with Reality XP Gramin 530 as a gauge.

Client : running WideFS with project magenta GAIFR

AhI should have read further! :shock:

It is not actually possible for WideFS itself to generate any delays. If WideServer is unable to run for any reason, all that happens is that values changing while it isn't able to send them are lost. When it gets a chance to send something, it only sends the latest current values.

Similarly at the WideClient end -- as soon as it receives values, they are the ones provided to the client applications on their next call.

Neither end has any queues, or large buffers, nothing like that at all. If there are any hold-ups you get jerking not delayed reactions. Certainly a delay of 10 to 15 seconds in the Server being able to do anything would result in a 10-15 second pause then an almighty jerk in the application program.

However, the Client can only process stuff it receives, so if there are delays then something else is operating the queuing -- and the only possibilities really are the Server network software or hardware, the switch/hub, or whatever, en route, and the Client hardware or Network software.

As to what could cause it I have no idea, sorry. There have been one or two folks periodically saying that this has been occurring -- all of them using PM OpenGL graphics (oddly enough?), and almost all on the PM support newsgroup/forum (which is therefore a good place for you to look too I think).

A theory I did have was that, since in most instances this delay only seems to build up over a long period of flying -- in some reports 2 hours or more -- it might be down to some memory leak in either PC, but probably the Server (you'd beed two or more clients to tell). However, I think others thought it was related to the OpenGL video drivers in the client.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for your answer

Jsut to clarify : there is no jerk, the client PC is running very smothly, only the altimeter (and all other instruments) is changing around 10 to 15 seconds after the FS2004 gauge I can see on the other screen.

I will go to PM forum for some help, thanks.

I will also check my Video driver

Ian Bennett

Jsut to clarify : there is no jerk, the client PC is running very smothly, only the altimeter (and all other instruments) is changing around 10 to 15 seconds after the FS2004 gauge I can see on the other screen.

Yes, this is a symptom others have reported but I don't know what the common element is. Does it start off okay and get worse over hours of flying, or is this happening quite quickly? Others who've seen this report that it occurs after a period, and suggest something like a memory leak gradually squeezing Ethernet sockets out of memory and into swap space on disk.

Certainly there must be queueing of the Ethernet packets going on somewhere -- determining whether it is in the Server or Client or (most unlikely unless you have a hub or switch with memory) en route is probably the first priority. Do you have other Client PCs, or one which can be temporarily brought in?

Also, to see if it is related to the PM OpenGL graphics on the Client, don't run the PM module there but something different, like TrafficLook or FSInterrogate (in the FSUIPC SDK) -- you need to try observing something which you can check against the Server screen. Maybe a local FS PC copy of TrafficLook and a remote one too, comparing their readings for the User Aircraft as you slew or fly.

I will also check my Video driver

There should be a way of checking for memory leaks too. Try the WinXP performance monitor (Ctrl-Alt-Del, Performance tab).

In case it only affects TCP/IP you could also try switching to IPX/SPX in WideFS, though I doubt if that would change this much -- maybe it would take longer to accumulate because the IPX/SPX frames are smaller.

Regards,

Pete