The simFlight Network Forums

GPS Offests for FSUIPC

Hi,

I am trying to build a physical GPS with a LCD display. But i dont intend to use Keyboard encoders for the buttons. I am using IOCard from opencockpit.com. I have the list of FSUIPC offsets for just about everything in FS, except GPS. Is there a list of GPS offsets or none.

Thank you.

Is there a list of GPS offsets or none.

What are these "GPS offsets" you want?

There's an area which contains data from the FS GPS at 6000 onwards, but I assume that stuff isn't relevant to you?

GPS's detect and show stuff like latitude/longitude/altitude/speed and direction. You have all those. What else is it you need? You will have to be more explicit.

There won't be anything about satellite positions and signals in FS -- it does not simulate the GPS satellite system. You will have to "pretend" that you are getting data from satellites.

Pete

O i m far far away from implement GPS lat/long/alt/ias. :shock:

For now all i am looking for is the buttons offset like NRST, OBS, DIR, FPL, TERR, PROC, Zoom In/Out etc etc. Just the basic GPS buttons to operate the GPS itself. I am using a sperate LCD panel for GPS, just like a stand alone GPS unit. All i need is the buttong assignment offsets so that i can use switches, push buttons to operate the GPS.

Thank you.

For now all i am looking for is the buttons offset like NRST, OBS, DIR, FPL, TERR, PROC, Zoom In/Out etc etc. Just the basic GPS buttons to operate the GPS itself. I am using a sperate LCD panel for GPS, just like a stand alone GPS unit. All i need is the buttong assignment offsets so that i can use switches, push buttons to operate the GPS.

There's no such offsets that I know of. Buttons aren't "values", but are either local to the gauge (i.e. defined as specific hot spots), or have FS controls assigned to them as well, in which can you can program them on keyboard or joystick buttons.

did you look through the list of FS controls I published with FSUIPC? There seems to be a heap of them, thus:

• GPS_ACTIVATE_BUTTON 66614
    GPS_BUTTON1 66629
    GPS_BUTTON2 66630
    GPS_BUTTON3 66631
    GPS_BUTTON4 66632
    GPS_BUTTON5 66633
    GPS_CLEAR_ALL_BUTTON 66620
    GPS_CLEAR_BUTTON 66619
    GPS_CLEAR_BUTTON_DOWN 66621
    GPS_CLEAR_BUTTON_UP 66622
    GPS_CURSOR_BUTTON 66624
    GPS_DIRECTTO_BUTTON 66617
    GPS_ENTER_BUTTON 66623
    GPS_FLIGHTPLAN_BUTTON 66609
    GPS_GROUP_KNOB_DEC 66626
    GPS_GROUP_KNOB_INC 66625
    GPS_MENU_BUTTON 66618
    GPS_MSG_BUTTON 66606
    GPS_MSG_BUTTON_DOWN 66607
    GPS_MSG_BUTTON_UP 66608
    GPS_NEAREST_BUTTON 66604
    GPS_OBS_BUTTON 66605
    GPS_PAGE_KNOB_DEC 66628
    GPS_PAGE_KNOB_INC 66627
    GPS_POWER_BUTTON 66602
    GPS_PROCEDURE_BUTTON 66612
    GPS_SETUP_BUTTON 66613
    GPS_TERRAIN_BUTTON 66611
    GPS_VNAV_BUTTON 66610
    GPS_ZOOMIN_BUTTON 66615
    GPS_ZOOMOUT_BUTTON 66616

I don't have any idea what they do or if they work, but you can certainly program them via FSUIPC's Keys or Buttons options to see. If you want to operate the FS GPS from a program you can send FS controls via offset 3110.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks a bunch for your quick reply Pete.

I do have the whole printout of the FS 2004 controls. But as i have just started getting into the advanced stuff, i dont have any idea how to program those controls or how to set the offsets. Now that i know there is no offsets for GPS buttons, i will start digging for tutorials to make the FS2004 Controls work. I see that these controls has 5 digits numeric numbers, whereas your offset has 4 digit alpha numerics with $ sign at the front. So i dotn know how to convert those 5 digits to 4 digits offsets. If you think you have some way or point to a direction where i can get loads of info, then please do share it with me.

i will start digging for tutorials to make the FS2004 Controls work.

I din't know of any. why would you need them? They are just numbers you write. FS does the rest.

I see that these controls has 5 digits numeric numbers, whereas your offset has 4 digit alpha numerics with $ sign at the front. So i dotn know how to convert those 5 digits to 4 digits offsets.

Groan!

I told you the offset -- 3110. there's only that one. What's all this about conversions? :-(

The CONTROL NUMBERS are CONTROL NUMBERS -- they are the numerical representation of the controls you can assign in FS (independently of FSUIPC). They are an FS invention and the control system they represent has been around since FS5 days at least.

They are absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "offsets".

Just write a control number to offset 3110, as it says in the documentation. Please look it up.

Pete

Pete,

I deeply apologize for any confusion i have caused. As i said earlier, i am completely new in this part of the FSUIPC. Never worked with controls, offsets etc before. I am still trying to connect the dots between all the things. The reason i got confused about the whole thing probably is, i use the hardware and software from opencockpits.com which only takes offsets starts with $XXXX. So, the original FScontrol number "XXXXXX" confused me.

I will proceed further with the offset $3110 and see what i can do. And i will also look into the documentation.

Thanks a million.

Never worked with controls, offsets etc before.

Controls are the things you assign to buttons and keys in FS. Every FS user surely need to know a bit about them, let alone someone designing hardware to interface with it.

In FS go to the Options menu -- you will see an item called "Controls". Select that and you will find you can make Assignments, change Sensitivities, and so on. In my list of FS2004 controls I merely equate the name of each known FS2004 control with the numerical representaion FS assigns internally.

The term "offsets" used in the FSUIPC interface is not at all related, and I really don't understand how such a confusion could arise. The only reason they are called "offsets" is that the interface provided derives from FS's own mapping of its assorted variables in an FS module called GLOBALS.DLL. This is way back in FS95 and FS98. The term "offset" was the difference between the position of a variable in that DLL and the start of the data itself -- the "offset" of one memory address from another.

The FSUIPC interface derived from another program in FS95 and FSS98 days (FS5IPC and FS6IPC respectively, 5=FS95, 6=FS98). Then the offsets were changing in each FS release. I decided with FSUIPC (U=Universal) to keep to those known in FS98 so that all the interfacing programs wouldn't need changing for each new FS release.

These days, though there still is a GLOBALS.DLL, it contains very little of the huge amount of data FSUIPC gives access to. The "offsets" no longer mean what they used to mean. You should merely think of them as Identifiers or Tokens for what they are documented as containing. FSUIPC is presenting a "virtual" memory map which doesn't really exist as such any more.

Now please go look up offset 3110 in the Programmer's document in the FSUIPC SDK. I'm sure if you had done so in the first place you would not have been so 'confused'.

Regards,

Pete