The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS Connection Troubleshooting

I'm sure this is a comon post, but didn't see it with a quick search here before I head off to work. First, thanks Pete for getting a new registration for FSUIPC with my correct email.

Now to my first problem (hopefully last) ;-)

Here's the log file from the client PC this morning:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.47] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 29/07/05, Time 08:26:31.365: Client name is OLD

401 Attempting to connect now

1322 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

1322 Ready to try connection again

1372 Attempting to connect now

5488 New Client Application: "ASV" (Id=2624)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Now to my first problem (hopefully last) ;-)

Have you told Wideclient what the name of the Server is? Where's the WideClient.ini file please? And the WideServer.Log file?

Also, check the Beta releases available in the top announcement here. It includes a trial version of WideFS which finds the Server automatically. This is really to try to cope with users who don't (can't be bothered to?) read the documentation supplied, but it may help you too.

Regards,

Pete

Well thanks for the reply I think? ;-) I read the documentation and did as instructed. I have told the wideclient the name of the wideserver computer and also told it the IP. I had to manually enter the lines under the [config] section of:

ServerName=New

ServerIPAddr=192.168.0.2

Those are the entries for my setup.

The client files themselves are on the client pc in a folder called "WideFS"

Thanks for your help

Those are the entries for my setup.

Thank you, but can you please show me the INI files for both WideServer and WideClient and also the logs for both. I cannot debug your setup in a vacuum. Please provide as much information as you can. I am still not seeing enough to verify the correct setup!

Note that it is not necessary to supply both ServerName and the IP Address. If the latter is provided the former is ignored, so the IP address had better be correct. In general it is much easier just to give the name.

Check also that you have no firewall stopping the client getting to the server. That would most likely result in "connection refused" by Windows.

Also check all the other hints in the documentation.

Regards,

Pete

By show you the actual files, I assume you mean attach them here? I'm at work now, so can't do that until I get home. I disabled the firewalls to test them and that didn't solve the problem either.

When I get home (approx 4 hours from now) I'll attach the files here.

Thanks again!

Lance

By show you the actual files, I assume you mean attach them here?

Or show their contents in the message if they aren't very long. Since you aren't getting a connection they shouldn't be very long at all.

But wait. Just clarify something for me please. Upon re-reading your original report I don't actually see any description of a problem. You simply showed a portion of a log without saying why. I perhaps wrongly assumed that nothing then happened

The log you showed for WideClient was:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.47] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 29/07/05, Time 08:26:31.365: Client name is OLD

401 Attempting to connect now

1322 Ready to try connection again

1372 Attempting to connect now

5488 New Client Application: "ASV" (Id=2624)

Now, I assume those "****** ..." at the end yours -- because WideClient always logs when it is being terminated? For example, here is a complete log from a Wideclient which was just left waiting for nearly 10 minutes with no FS running on its Server:

• ********* WideClient Log [version 6.47] Class=FS98MAIN *********
    Date (dmy): 29/07/05, Time 18:33:04.608: Client name is MYQOSMIO
    290 Attempting to connect now
    300 Trying TCP/IP host "newleft" port 8002 ...
    300Okay, IP Address = 192.168.0.223
    1232 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused
    1232 Ready to try connection again
    1272 Attempting to connect now
    6479 New Client Application: "pmsystems" (Id=792)
    560396 ****** End of session performance summary ******
    560396 Total time connected = 0 seconds
    560396 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    560396 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    560396 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0
    560396 **************** Individual client application activity ****************
    560396 Client 792 requests: 947 (Ave 947/sec), Data: 1619559 bytes (1619559/sec), Average 1710 bytes/Process
    560396 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 947 Freed 947 Refused 0) *********

See? Your log is just a normal start when WideClient is run before FS is ready to fly. The missing bit is the log of the server name and IP address found for it, but I think that is only because you specify the IP address so WideClient doesn't need to ask windows for it.

So, how long did you wait before terminating? What was FS showing?

Was FS running on the FS PC before you ran WideClient? The error "Connection refused" is quite normal to see if WideClient is run before FS and WideServer is ready, as the service isn't available for the connection to be made. The service only starts when FS is ready to fly. Wideclient will keep retrying, as it actually says in the Log fragment.

Please look at FS's title bar when FS is running (you'll need to go into Windowed mode for this, ALT + ENTER). Does it say it is waiting for clients?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

OK, I am home from work. I went ahead and deleted the client ini and log files, started over, entering the IP for the server computer. I double checked that my firewall had widefs on the good guy list, started everything up again and this time it worked...

Go figure...

I appreciate all your help here. I can only assume I made a typo somewhere along the lines when I first tried it so sorry to bog you down with this simple issue.