The simFlight Network Forums

Visual Basic and FSUIPC

Hi Peter! Hi forums!

I have just started in the VB / FSUIPC arena in this past few weeks. I have asked several questions here, always I get answers, thank you so much. My project is an ethernet-connected VFD module that can display FS data. It uses a Rabbit Micro RCM2200 and a surplus alpha-numeric VFD display. It works so cool! So much easier to read than LCD!

From searching the forum here, I see many texts with questions and answers reagrding how to do this and that, and it seems that the questions are mostly VB programming questions, not really FSUIPC questions. What variable type to use, how to do the math correctly, incorrect data being displayed after math routines, etc.

With the SDK texts, and FSInterrogate, lot's of info is available, but sometimes still kind of confusing to some folks. I wonder why no enterprising VB programmer has assembled a lib (vb calls it a module) for performing the different math functions on the data returned from your software? Maybe for at least the first few common things we beginners want to look at, like ALT, GS, IAS, HDG, COM/NAV, LAT/LONG, etc.......? I, like so many guys out there just love to cut and paste other people's hard work! (grin)

I think that upon reading this post, someone may just put a module together...If not, I think that once I have my stuff all working I will do so.... it's always nice to help others, and I have already received so much help here. Everyone is very generous with time and code samples.

Anyway, thanks to you and the forum community for all that you do.. what a great hobby!

Buddym

Tampa,FL

I wonder why no enterprising VB programmer has assembled a lib (vb calls it a module) for performing the different math functions on the data returned from your software? Maybe for at least the first few common things we beginners want to look at, like ALT, GS, IAS, HDG, COM/NAV, LAT/LONG, etc.......?

That sounds like a good idea. But if it also actually Reads the data from FSUIPC (which probably it doesn't, from your description), it would need something like an "FSUIPC_Process" call to actually do the read. We shouldn't encourage the use of lots of separate "Read-Process" pairs, which are grossly inefficient.

Maybe a library with calls for popular specific variables, a generic call for others, then a separate "Process" entry which actually does the business, including the conversions of the known (named?) variables. The unknown unnamed ones would still be provided "as is".

Thanks for the suggestion, and the potential offer! I look forward to seeing what transpires! :wink:

Regards,

Pete