The simFlight Network Forums

Question about WideFS and multiple screens

This is in answer to a message sent privately by mistake:

In one of your posts of yesterday (Saturday), you mention using Parhelia on two PC's - "connected by WideFS" giving six monitors on two PC's.

How would you set this up

How do you mean? Just plug the monitors into the Parhelia card and switch on. I don't know what you mean else? I three 18" TFTs on a shelf about 3 15" TFTs. The upper ones are showing only the outside view from FS as one 3840 x 1024 screen. The lower ones are the instrumentation.

and what would you use the second PC with Parhelia on it - for?

Project Magenta Boeing glass cockpit -- Pilot PFD/ND -- EICAS -- Copilot ND/PFD.

"WideFS cannot run parts of FS on other PC's"

Is not the outside view part of FS? So how are they "connected by WideFS"?

There are no outside views connected by WideFS because all the outside views are on one PC, the only one running FS! WideFS has nothing whatsoever to do with views.

If you want multiple outside views on different PCs you need WidevieW. If is a different program entirely, not mine.

Regards,

Pete

Yes Peter - I DO know how to plug monitors in.

Would be scenario -

The Parhelia's are plugged in.

The PC's are networked.

FSUIPC and WideFS installed.

FS is running.

Outside view is on PC1.

Instruments(eg Magenta) are on PC2.

An aircraft (eg a Baron) is selected on PC1.

This is a simple,non technical run down of what I presume is correct.

Again - in non technical terms, will the aircraft and the Magenta gauges function together? That is to say - will the gauges reflect the aircrafts movements?

Us non technical types can be pulled up at every turn with technical replies- but it does not help in the long run. It's possible with all the jargonese needed to simulate flight to lose sight of what it was that brought us into flight simulation in the first place - the desire to fly - but without a real plane!

In my experience, technical situations can always be explained in basic terms - if the "expert" has the inclination.

I think suggesting that I might not know how to plug monitors in - inspired the flavour of my comments.

Regards.

TONY.

Yes Peter - I DO know how to plug monitors in.

Sorry, I was simply illustrating that I didn't know what you were asking.

Would be scenario -

The Parhelia's are plugged in.

The PC's are networked.

FSUIPC and WideFS installed.

FS is running.

Outside view is on PC1.

Instruments(eg Magenta) are on PC2.

An aircraft (eg a Baron) is selected on PC1.

This is a simple,non technical run down of what I presume is correct.

Yes. FS is only running on PC1. Though I wouldn't use the Baron with the Boeing Glass Cockpit set of PM modules I have. I think they do a GA system based on a Garmin glass display which may suit the Baron. I only fly a 737-700 on my 6-screen setup and I am not an expert on all that PM provides.

Again - in non technical terms, will the aircraft and the Magenta gauges function together? That is to say - will the gauges reflect the aircrafts movements?

Yes, of course. That's what they are for -- though I don't think you'd get a good looking result for a Prop on jet aircraft instruments or vice versa.

It works the other way too of course -- the PM's MCP/Autopilot and FMS can control the aircraft -- given matching PM and FS aircraft settings.

All this sort of information is really best obtained from Project Magenta. You can check their entire range of products. I am only using the Boeing stuff.

I think suggesting that I might not know how to plug monitors in - inspired the flavour of my comments.

Well, I'm afraid your sarcasm does you no credit and has no place in intelligent discussions. I thought it was obvious that it was your original question which was not answerable without further questions that I was illustrating.

Please do go and do some investigations, explore things that interest you THEN come back for technical assistance as and when you actually need it. I am not a sales executive for PM or any other programs, I can simply explain that WideFS links programs NOT part of FS to FS via FSUIPC. That is its function, which I am sure I have explained in completely non-technical terms many times in this forum, to you as well I think (in another thread).

I suggest we stop this thread now and I let you go some research elsewhere. Okay?

Regards,

Pete

It's a pity you did not say that you did not know what I was asking -instead of phrasing it the way you did? I think that most people would see it the way I did. Plain language in the way that I have described is only reasonable and polite.

I apologise if you saw my all be it blunt comments as sarcasm, but telling me to go elsewhere is hardly subtle!

As you probably know, flightsim is a young area of interest, and to my knowledge, there are no actual courses available to help ordinary people to understand the technical details. This also applies to understanding computers - to the extent that even computer shop engineers are mostly self trained and have no actual "qualifications" at all. May I suggest that this is why simmers of all persuation rely heavily on your considerable experience in most things simming.

Sorry if I appear to be a dullard - I have a degree level education and a thriving film making business.

Please do not reply to these comments as I have not really asked any questions. If you want to contact me at all - my email address is here.

Tony.

belairvideo@aol.com

... but telling me to go elsewhere is hardly subtle!

Sorry, that had nothing to do with anything else and the word "subtle" doesn't have any meaning in connection with it. It was just good advice, which I thought you wanted.

You are asking me questions which I really either cannot answer or have no business answering, especially as I would be biassed towards my own flight interests (737NG). If you want to know what gauges and aircraft and other programs are available for FS you need to browse, take a look. For example, if you want to know more about PM go to the PM site. And so on.

This is not "technical" advice, it is surely common sense?

It was in no way meant to be offensive as you seem to have completely misread it. I do try to support my own programs to the best of my ability, and I really cannot support and sell other people's or advise on their use to a wide variety of different interests. You know what interests you, please go and take a look at what is available.

I am always here to help with FSUIPC or WideFS or other of my programs, should you need such. Please just ask. But I honestly cannot tell you much about programs I don't use and often haven't even seen.

Sorry.

If you have general questions and just need advise about where to go, what to look at, the FS2004 Forum near here would probably be the most appropriate in the first instance.

Regards,

Pete