The simFlight Network Forums

Slowly degrading performance

Hello All,

I hope that this is not a silly issue, or I haven't missed a clue by searching the forums, but I have Project Magenta, and several pcs all running Widefs / fsuipc, but my performance deteriotes (sp?, its late is Aus now!) over the first 10 mins of flight with FS9.1 - below is my log.

The PM Boeing glass cockpit has a data rate of over 40 when starting but this degrades to 3 over the first 10 mins and stays there (on a good night I get a data rate of 4 / 5), not sure why, any clues?. Have done some usual stuff (disable f/wall, stop NLA etc, set to full duplex 100mb/s not auto etc, check latest versions of drivers etc.). The problem is there with one or more pcs running widefs, so sure it is the server/fs9.1. Any tips on diagnosing this would be great ;) I have also posted this at PM.

The ini file is the standard 'out of the box' with only the server ip address set. All pcs are winxp sp2 on 100mb nwork.

One silly question is the latest version 6.47? From the PM download it is - which is where I got it from.

Many thanks and apologies if I have done something silly or missed a post that answers this :oops:

THanks and Regards

Stuart

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.47] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 16/08/05, Time 20:47:39.578: Server name is FS2004

86625 Initialising TCP/IP server

86687 Initialising IPX/SPX server

86687 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

86687 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

105297 Restarting service due to total lack of use

105297 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

532891 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=1936)

532953 Connected to computer "LEFTCOMP" running WideClient version 6.470 (skt=1936)

716859 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=2016)

716922 Connected to computer "DDCOMP" running WideClient version 6.470 (skt=2016)

1869750 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=356)

1869844 Connected to computer "STULAPTOP" running WideClient version 6.470 (skt=356)

3352328 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=356)

3363953 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=2276)

3364016 Connected to computer "STULAPTOP" running WideClient version 6.470 (skt=2276)

5153219 Retried 21 times: sends blocked for over 5 secs! (0 of 414 sent), Error=10035 (skt=2276)

5158234 Error 10054: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=2276)

5411641 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=2016)

5472406 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 543 alloc, 543 free

Throughput maximum achieved: 60 frames/sec, 13138 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 22 frames/sec, 3285 bytes/sec

Average receive rate from "DDCOMP": 10 frames/sec, 542 bytes/sec

Average receive rate from "STULAPTOP": 0 frames/sec, 39 bytes/sec

Average receive rate from "LEFTCOMP": 1 frames/sec, 137 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

... I have also posted this at PM.

Yes, and I have just spent some time answering you there. I'll need now to repeat it here for others' benefit.

I'm not sure what could be doing it, but one possibility is an FS memory leak. Check the memory use (in the task manager) -- compare it when it is performaing well, early on, with how it is later when it seems so slow. I think lack of physical memory will affect the way the Windows socket buffering operates.

There are a number of causes of memory leaks in FS. They are far less if you are using 9.1 rather than the original 9.0 release, but some still exist. One famous one if when you have landclass BGL data in the Addon Scenery folder. I had to move a whole bunch of freeware scenery from there to the normal scenery folder to get rid of one such case.

One silly question is the latest version 6.47? From the PM download it is - which is where I got it from.

Please always check the Announcements and Stickies at the top of this Forum! As you would then see, 6.47 is the current release, though there is a Beta pre-release also available (it will come out as 6.50 shortly). But there's no change I can think of which would affect what you are observing.

Regards

Pete

>>Yes, and I have just spent some time answering you there. I'll need now to repeat it here for others' benefit.

Sorry to have wasted your time, I didn't know you actively monitored PM formus, although I have seen your posts once or twice, will stick to one forum or the other next time,

Anyway, will monitor for mem leaks, and if I uncover anything, will post it here (AND on PM!)

Thanks Peter - for the help and great s/ware

Stuart