the middle of a flight, then I have to go to do

something so I minimized the program and left. Upon

returning 20 minutes later, I restored the program and

found the console is no longer responsive and the

Safeline console gauge in FS 2002 went black. I tried

to turn off the console and turn it on again and found

if I did that a few times I can get the gauge back as

I turned off the console but the console still would

not respond even if I turn it back on again.

I have contacted the manufactur for the last three

month and tried different things including replacing

the CPU on the console. It did not help.

The console uses the COM port. It seems that the

computer does not recognize the console anymore. I

know this is a long shot and I should not blame FSUIPC

update for the problem, as the last resort, I just

wonder whether the update could have caused an

conflict or turned off the console in someway so it

can not be recognized by the computer anymore. I tried

to revert back to the older version of FSUIPC, it did

not help either.

I do not understand much about programing, just wonder

whether you have some thoughts about this problem. I have read the posts on this forum and documents came with the update and could not find an answer.

Thank you very much.

Guest davidZ

Pete:

I am using the Safeline console for MSFS 2002. It was

working fine until a few month ago. I updated FSUIPC

to version 2.95. It was working fine when I started an

MSFS flight the first time after the update. I was in

I have contacted the manufactur for the last three

the CPU on the console. It did not help.

The console uses the COM port. It seems that the

computer does not recognize the console anymore. I

know this is a long shot and I should not blame FSUIPC

update for the problem, as the last resort, I just

wonder whether the update could have caused an

conflict or turned off the console in someway so it

can not be recognized by the computer anymore. I tried

not help either.

I do not understand much about programing, just wonder

whether you have some thoughts about this problem. I have read the posts on this forum and documents came with the update and could not find an answer.

Thank you very much.

I'm sorry, but I've not heard of this "Safeline" console. It sounds like a piece of hardware from what you say. Does it have a driver running in the PC? If so is it an EXE talking to FSUIPC, or a module or gauge for FS? Does it even use FSUIPC?

>> I have contacted the manufactur for the last three

the CPU on the console. <<

Ah, so it definitely is hardware!

>> The console uses the COM port. It seems that the

computer does not recognize the console anymore. <<

Right. So there is some driver which you must be loading in the FS PC. Is this an EXE? OR have you installed something into FS? It is this which is most suspect I think -- either that or your COM port has become inoperable for some reason. Maybe you've changed your PC configuration and the COM port IRQ is being shared? That might not be good.

>> I tried

not help either. <<

Well that most certainly eliminates FSUIPC in any case -- FSUIPC does no permanent changes. If you revert, you revert.

>> I have read the posts on this forum and documents came with the update and could not find an answer. <<

I think you need to look at what the console driver is doing, and whether that has been corrupted or whether something is amiss with the COM port side of things.

Pete

I'm sorry, but I've not heard of this "Safeline" console. It sounds like a piece of hardware from what you say. Does it have a driver running in the PC? If so is it an EXE talking to FSUIPC, or a module or gauge for FS? Does it even use FSUIPC?

>> I have contacted the manufactur for the last three

the CPU on the console. <<

Ah, so it definitely is hardware!

>> The console uses the COM port. It seems that the

computer does not recognize the console anymore. <<

Right. So there is some driver which you must be loading in the FS PC. Is this an EXE? OR have you installed something into FS? It is this which is most suspect I think -- either that or your COM port has become inoperable for some reason. Maybe you've changed your PC configuration and the COM port IRQ is being shared? That might not be good.

>> I tried

not help either. <<

Well that most certainly eliminates FSUIPC in any case -- FSUIPC does no permanent changes. If you revert, you revert.

>> I have read the posts on this forum and documents came with the update and could not find an answer. <<

I think you need to look at what the console driver is doing, and whether that has been corrupted or whether something is amiss with the COM port side of things.

Pete

Guest Bob Scott

I would start by swapping the console to another serial port...I have had built-in COM ports on three different motherboards crap out on me in the last few years. The built-in UARTs are often low-power devices with little circuit protection and poor power stability under load. If that's the problem, either use another serial port on the PC, or better, put in an add-on PCI serial I/O board. SIIG makes several good, cheap I/O boards.

If it won't work on another port, try another serial device (an old modem for example) on the serial port...if it works, then you probably have a hardware problem with the console.

Bob Scott

ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

Guest Bob Scott

I would start by swapping the console to another serial port...I have had built-in COM ports on three different motherboards crap out on me in the last few years. The built-in UARTs are often low-power devices with little circuit protection and poor power stability under load. If that's the problem, either use another serial port on the PC, or better, put in an add-on PCI serial I/O board. SIIG makes several good, cheap I/O boards.

If it won't work on another port, try another serial device (an old modem for example) on the serial port...if it works, then you probably have a hardware problem with the console.

Bob Scott

ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

Guest davidZ

Thanks Pete and Bob for your help.

You all seem to suspect the com port for the problem. I did too at the begining. I tested the port with software and other hardware, it did appear to work ok. I also tried to connect the console to another computer, the same things happened. The computer thinks the console was not connected. At the same time, I know there is certain communication goes on between the console and the computer since I can some times get the console gauge back in MSFS panel as I turned the cosole off, indicating the console was working fine but it is not in reality. Normally I should have the gauge on when the console is on, not when it is off. Isn't this really a weired problem. I do not know how I can get the connection back. Could FSUIPC send any command to turn off or on the console on the com port?

Thanks.

Guest davidZ

Thanks Pete and Bob for your help.

You all seem to suspect the com port for the problem. I did too at the begining. I tested the port with software and other hardware, it did appear to work ok. I also tried to connect the console to another computer, the same things happened. The computer thinks the console was not connected. At the same time, I know there is certain communication goes on between the console and the computer since I can some times get the console gauge back in MSFS panel as I turned the cosole off, indicating the console was working fine but it is not in reality. Normally I should have the gauge on when the console is on, not when it is off. Isn't this really a weired problem. I do not know how I can get the connection back. Could FSUIPC send any command to turn off or on the console on the com port?

Thanks.

You state that sometimes you can see the gauge just as you kill the console. This makes me think of some possibilties:

Perhaps there is a software on/off toggle out of phase with whatever message or state is detected from the console. Look for a registry or .ini file entry that might be reversed.

Try on the com port in question different handshaking methods, or turn off hand-shaking entirely to force all the hardware handshaking statuses to a true state.

You state that sometimes you can see the gauge just as you kill the console. This makes me think of some possibilties:

Perhaps there is a software on/off toggle out of phase with whatever message or state is detected from the console. Look for a registry or .ini file entry that might be reversed.

Try on the com port in question different handshaking methods, or turn off hand-shaking entirely to force all the hardware handshaking statuses to a true state.

You all seem to suspect the com port for the problem. I did too at the begining. I tested the port with software and other hardware, it did appear to work ok. I also tried to connect the console to another computer, the same things happened. The computer thinks the console was not connected.

In that case it is either the hardware unit itself, or the cable (did you check no wires had come unsoldered, for instance?), or the driver or whatever it is that talks to the device. Really you need Safeline support to help here.

At the same time, I know there is certain communication goes on between the console and the computer since I can some times get the console gauge back in MSFS panel as I turned the cosole off, indicating the console was working fine but it is not in reality.

If that's consistent then something's out of phase somewhere. This "console gauge" you see in FS, is that the driver for the SafeLine device? Is there no EXE driver you need to load?

Could FSUIPC send any command to turn off or on the console on the com port?

No, FSUIPC knows nothing about any hardware at all, and it most certainly does not touch COM ports. FSUIPC is a passive interface, it just does what applications interfacing to it ask of it, FS-wise, not hardware wise. Folks seem to think it does everything, but that reaslly is NOT true. In fact, it is sounding like your Safeline device doesn't even use FSUIPC. Certainly if it a commercially sold device and they use FSUIPC they should have asked permission in any case, and I've never even heard of it. Does it say in their manual you need FSUIPC? If so, have you their address?

Pete

You all seem to suspect the com port for the problem. I did too at the begining. I tested the port with software and other hardware, it did appear to work ok. I also tried to connect the console to another computer, the same things happened. The computer thinks the console was not connected.

In that case it is either the hardware unit itself, or the cable (did you check no wires had come unsoldered, for instance?), or the driver or whatever it is that talks to the device. Really you need Safeline support to help here.

At the same time, I know there is certain communication goes on between the console and the computer since I can some times get the console gauge back in MSFS panel as I turned the cosole off, indicating the console was working fine but it is not in reality.

If that's consistent then something's out of phase somewhere. This "console gauge" you see in FS, is that the driver for the SafeLine device? Is there no EXE driver you need to load?

Could FSUIPC send any command to turn off or on the console on the com port?

No, FSUIPC knows nothing about any hardware at all, and it most certainly does not touch COM ports. FSUIPC is a passive interface, it just does what applications interfacing to it ask of it, FS-wise, not hardware wise. Folks seem to think it does everything, but that reaslly is NOT true. In fact, it is sounding like your Safeline device doesn't even use FSUIPC. Certainly if it a commercially sold device and they use FSUIPC they should have asked permission in any case, and I've never even heard of it. Does it say in their manual you need FSUIPC? If so, have you their address?

Pete

Guest davidZ

Thanks again everyone.

As you suspected, the console does not need FSUIPC to run. It has its own dms software to run the console.

I do not think there is a problem with the cable since I can get the gauge to work sometimes. I will check it though.

Where should I look in the ini file? How do I change the handshaing setting on the com port?

Thanks

Guest davidZ

Thanks again everyone.

As you suspected, the console does not need FSUIPC to run. It has its own dms software to run the console.

I do not think there is a problem with the cable since I can get the gauge to work sometimes. I will check it though.

Where should I look in the ini file? How do I change the handshaing setting on the com port?

Thanks

If there is an ini file for the driver, than there might be a cariable definition for the last state of the device. It could be set to 0, false, or off for one state and 1, -1, true, or on as the programmer defined the variable.

For setting com port handshaking, assuming no other app sets that port (in other words it is dedicated to the Safeline), go into Device Manager, select the port, get to the properties, and I think it is under advanced settings. The program can overide these settings you should note, but these defaults should return when starting Win. The exact procedure to get to the handshaking depends on your Win version.

You can also get an inexpensive serial port break-out box with indicators so you can watch the state of the status pins. For a 25 pin connector you open the through switches for 4,5,6,8,20. Then on each side of the box you tie (using the test pins and patches provided) pins 4 and 5 for one group, and a second group you tie of 6,8,20. I don't recall the 9 pin settings. This basicly provides constant handshaking values of true in both directions with only the comm stream signal getting through. You may not want to go this far but if you do search for a tutorial on RS232 communications. Some vendors that sell these boxes also offer a small book called RS-232 Made Easy. By the way, for a 25 pin connector, the comm bits fly in one direction on pin 2 and the other on pin 3 with 7 being the signal common. Unless you are at a slow baud rate, you may not see the indicator blink or change color.

If there is an ini file for the driver, than there might be a cariable definition for the last state of the device. It could be set to 0, false, or off for one state and 1, -1, true, or on as the programmer defined the variable.

For setting com port handshaking, assuming no other app sets that port (in other words it is dedicated to the Safeline), go into Device Manager, select the port, get to the properties, and I think it is under advanced settings. The program can overide these settings you should note, but these defaults should return when starting Win. The exact procedure to get to the handshaking depends on your Win version.

You can also get an inexpensive serial port break-out box with indicators so you can watch the state of the status pins. For a 25 pin connector you open the through switches for 4,5,6,8,20. Then on each side of the box you tie (using the test pins and patches provided) pins 4 and 5 for one group, and a second group you tie of 6,8,20. I don't recall the 9 pin settings. This basicly provides constant handshaking values of true in both directions with only the comm stream signal getting through. You may not want to go this far but if you do search for a tutorial on RS232 communications. Some vendors that sell these boxes also offer a small book called RS-232 Made Easy. By the way, for a 25 pin connector, the comm bits fly in one direction on pin 2 and the other on pin 3 with 7 being the signal common. Unless you are at a slow baud rate, you may not see the indicator blink or change color.

David

i'm have also the safeline console and can't get it to run with WinXp! With WinMe everything is working normal. But if I update my computer to WinXp the console is dead. It's very strange, other users report a working Safeline Console with WinXp. I think it must have something to do with my Gainward Mainboard.

On witch OS are you running the Console! May be we have some sort of the same problem?

To bad there is no more support from the safeline company!

http://www.safeline.com

No replys at all.

Bruno

David

i'm have also the safeline console and can't get it to run with WinXp! With WinMe everything is working normal. But if I update my computer to WinXp the console is dead. It's very strange, other users report a working Safeline Console with WinXp. I think it must have something to do with my Gainward Mainboard.

On witch OS are you running the Console! May be we have some sort of the same problem?

To bad there is no more support from the safeline company!

http://www.safeline.com

No replys at all.

Bruno

• 4 weeks later...
Guest davidZ

Sorry, I just got back from my vacation.

Bruno, I sm using Window Me. I know your frustration with the console. It is not very stable as pointed out by the manufacture. They said they are working on a USB version, which is supposed to be more stable. It is impossible to reach them by e-mail. I had to call them to get a response. I think my problem is different from yours. I would stick with Windows ME for now if I were you, I know it is a pain. I hope I can find a fix for the console someday so I do not waste all that money.