The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS stutter

Hi everybody!

I've just installed FSUIPC 3.48 and WideFS on FS2002 and run it over a 100mbit/s LAN, WinXP Pro.

There's a regular single stutter every second on the server since that installation, no matter how I configure FS.

Framerate is smooth overall (limited to 30 on a 2.5 GHz P4) but there's always this one single short pause once in a second that really kicks you away from the overall smoothness.

Connection to a client doesn't hace any impact on that behaviour, stutter is always there, connected or not.

The WideFS manual says, there should be no decrease in framerate, is that true?

There's a regular single stutter every second on the server since that installation, no matter how I configure FS.

The WideFS manual says, there should be no decrease in framerate, is that true?

It is true that there's no measurable impact. And in any case there's nothing whatsoever that the currently released WideFS (6.47) does once per second -- the Beta version (released in this Forum only so far) does, by default, issue a short broadcast once per second, so that clients can link automatically. However, that isn't noticeable either and it is suppressible if so.

It sounds like something more to do with the way you have your network configured, or else it's an anti-virus or memory checker program, or maybe some other security type action which is occurring.

First off, make sure you are assigning fixed IP addresses to every PC, not allowing Windows to seek connections every second or so. That's one cause. Otherwise you'll need to look for other background activities.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for your quick reply, Pete!

I've tried the following:

PIII 500MHz with complete fresh installation: WinXP Pro, FS2002 + WideFS + FSUIPC, nothing else on it.

Same effect, but stronger. I almost get dizzy when speeding down the runway, nodding my head as the plane suddenly stops every second again, and again...

All sliders in FS set to minimum, even with this hardware absolutely good for perfectly smooth flying (tried it without modules first).

Network monitor shows 0.04% load when WideFS is on duty, although this shouldn't matter anyway, scince problem is there without connection, too.

I've checked the task manager for applications running in the background: nothing.

Have I already mentioned, that I hate Computer problems without any obvious reason!?

I've checked the task manager for applications running in the background: nothing.

It won't be a regular "application2 as such -- look at the Process list. It'll be one of those. Something is doing it. Try killing one process at a time. If you crash the system doing that, just reboot and continue. You'll find it eventually that way!

With no Client connected, WideServer doesn't even do anything (unless you are using the Beta version as I said before -- that uses mailshots once a second, but it can be turned off). All wideServer does is "offer" a service and waits for Windows to indicate a connection has been made -- i.e. a Wideclient has attempted to connect. There's nothing happening in Wideserver till that occurs, it is simply idling awaiting such a message from Windows.

Sorry, I am no Windows or even Network expert. You may find Katy Pluta over in the FS2004 Forum some help if you can't get anywhere killing processes.

Regards,

Pete

It won't be a regular "application" as such -- look at the Process list. It'll be one of those. Something is doing it. Try killing one process at a time. If you crash the system doing that, just reboot and continue. You'll find it eventually that way!

But first, please take a look in both the FSUIPC and WideServer Log files -- you'll find them in the FS Modules folder. Just in case something odd is failing and causing retries or something.

With no Client connected, WideServer doesn't even do anything (unless you are using the Beta version as I said before -- that uses mailshots once a second, but it can be turned off). All wideServer does is "offer" a service and waits for Windows to indicate a connection has been made -- i.e. a Wideclient has attempted to connect. There's nothing happening in Wideserver till that occurs, it is simply idling awaiting such a message from Windows.

Sorry, I am no Windows or even Network expert. You may find Katy Pluta over in the FS2004 Forum some help if you can't get anywhere killing processes.

Regards,

Pete

3rd installation works fine, this time a P4 3GHz, fresh WinXP Pro, fresh FS2002. No stutter at all.

I can now compare this one to the other two machines to find out what makes the difference, e.g. the Process list (which I did check when I was looking for background activities with a few hangs when unticking some of them).

Anyway, thanks a lot for your immediate support, Pete, you really do care!

Sammy

3rd installation works fine, this time a P4 3GHz, fresh WinXP Pro, fresh FS2002. No stutter at all.

I can now compare this one to the other two machines to find out what makes the difference, e.g. the Process list (which I did check when I was looking for background activities with a few hangs when unticking some of them).

Okay .. please let me know if you do find a specific cause. It may be useful again in future!

BTW you shouldn't automatically rule out a hardware cause either. I've had two faulty network cards in the last few years, though in both cases the symptoms were faulty data under load (only eventually proven after copying huge files and comparing the results to find the few bytes in many millions actually missing!).

If you aren't using a network port on the motherboard it is worth trying to swap cards. Even if you are using a motherboard port it might be worth trying a PCI card instead.

Regards,

Pete

Got it!

In addition to my LAN over crossed cable I have Wireless LAN for Internet use.

Stupidly enough I unplugged the WLAN before flying to make sure I have FS2002 over cable LAN. Well, guess what WLAN was trying to do periodically: connect, which seemingly interfered with WIDEFS.

If I really had stopped all the tasks in the process list as you adviced me to do, I would have sorted it out right away.

The problem was, that there was a constant "0" at the WLAN task in the process list, so I did't care for that. The attempts to connect were short enough not to be any load for the CPU, but long enough to confuse WIDEFS.

All 3 machines work perfectly now, even the old P3 500. I just have to either leave WLAN plugged in or stop the task when plugged out.

Thanks a lot again for your support

Sammy