The simFlight Network Forums

Customizing joystick elevator trim?

I have deleted my joystick's trim buttons (FS# 3 &4 / FSUIPC # 2/3), in CONTROLS | ASSIGNMENTS in FS9. I then followed the User's Guide instructions for setting "Offset Increment/Decrement Controls" (which just happens to have, as an example, the Elevator Trim 8) ).

A screenshot of the "trim down" setting is here:

FSUIPC_-trim.jpg

My questions are:

1. Did I err by removing these 2 button "assignments" in FS9 CONTROLS settings?

2. I am looking for very "fine" control of the elevator trim (note the "32" entry in "parameter" box). What I am getting, with the above, is very fine trim movement until the 3rd (or so) button press, at which time the control "accelerates" just as if I was "holding" on a trim wheel (or any other on screen adjustment) with my mouse button. Is there any way to stop the accelerated control for the elevator trim ONLY? In other words, no matter how long I "hold" on joystick "trim down" button or how many times in a row I press it, I only want it to move the default amount, without any acceleration.

I hope I made my request clear. If not, please ask for any clarification on what I'm trying to do.

Thanks gang.

Vic

Apologies for the delay in my reply -- as announced in this Forum I've been away with no Internet access from 24th September until 12th October.

Did I err by removing these 2 button "assignments" in FS9 CONTROLS settings?

Not if you don't want them, no.

I am looking for very "fine" control of the elevator trim (note the "32" entry in "parameter" box). What I am getting, with the above, is very fine trim movement until the 3rd (or so) button press, at which time the control "accelerates" just as if I was "holding" on a trim wheel (or any other on screen adjustment) with my mouse button.

Yes, this is a built-in action of FS. It is automatic is two identical controls arrive within something like 400 mSecs of each other. You can only avoid it by pressing more slowly, or making sure there's an intervening control which is different.

I see you have "repeat whilst held" checked. If you want to press it repeatedly yourself you need to uncheck that.

Alternatively, reduce your "32" increment value to compensate for the acceleration.

Is there any way to stop the accelerated control for the elevator trim ONLY? In other words, no matter how long I "hold" on joystick "trim down" button or how many times in a row I press it, I only want it to move the default amount, without any acceleration.

The only ways are as I just described. Sorry. If reducing the increment to compensate isn't suitable, you could add another line in the FSUIPC.INI file to program a different action on the same button -- another non-axis FS control with no effect, or an innocuous one. Then when you are holding down the button both controls will be sent alternately and this will defeat FS's acceleration.

Regards,

Pete

I've reduced my setting to "16" from "32" and take half a breath before hitting the trim buttons again :wink: ...this seems to work great and I can actually get my MAAM-SIM DC3 to level out in steady conditions. I don't think I'll need the "2 different controls alternately" "fix" as this seems to be working about how I want it.

Thanks for a great utility Pete!!

Vic