The simFlight Network Forums

AutoSave and LDS 767

Pete,

This speciifcally relates to AutoSave and its behavior when running the LDS 767. I have a question about how AutoSave triggers a save in the simulator. I have noticed that the save files generated by AutoSave do not contain all of the state data that is generated by the LDS sim when you explicitly chosoe "File | Save Flight" from the menu. I don't know if that is an artifact of how LDS "hooks" the save, or if that is an artifact of how AutoSave "hooks" the save. In either event, only a partial save is generated when AutoSave generates a situation file w/ the LDS 767 active. When you subsequently load that situation file, its basically useless as almost all of the LDS specific data has been lost. The panel must be reconfigured from end to end. This is particularly unfortunate as the LDS 767 is one of the few complex aircraft panels that fully implements load/save. Is there something that either you or the LDS developers could do to bridge this gap so that you are all using the same "pathway" for saving?

J

I have a question about how AutoSave triggers a save in the simulator.

It simply calls the same procedure in FS that FS itself does when you use the ';' keypress and enter a name. It is simply entering the name automatically.

I have noticed that the save files generated by AutoSave do not contain all of the state data that is generated by the LDS sim when you explicitly chosoe "File | Save Flight" from the menu.

AutoSave knows nothing at all about what is saved, that is completely up to FS. I know that some aircraft (e.g. the PSS ones) do hook the saves and then also save their own data, nrmally in separate files though I suppose it would also be possible to append data to the .flt files themselves.

I have no idea what the LDS aircraft try to do I'm afraid.

I don't know if that is an artifact of how LDS "hooks" the save, or if that is an artifact of how AutoSave "hooks" the save.

AutoSave "hooks" nothing -- it has no need to. As I said, it merely calls the correct "save" procudure in FS. If the LDS code hooked it correctly, as for instance the PSS aircraft do, then it should work. Possibly they only look for menu access? Do they save okay using the ';' key?

Is there something that either you or the LDS developers could do to bridge this gap so that you are all using the same "pathway" for saving?

You'll need to ask LDS this -- AutoSave can do no better than calling the correct procedures in FS.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I posed this same question to the LDS dev team. It would appear that LDS hooks the save at a higher level (UI/keystroke handling) - and therefore their stubs are missed when AutoSave does its thing. They seem to be on top of this issue going forward, so we will keep our fingers crossed and hope!

Cheers,

J