The simFlight Network Forums

Pete...Question about GPS_POWER_BUTTON

Pete, I am using the newest version of FSUIPC and am having trouble getting a button to work for GPS power. I have tried several things. I first tried using the FSUIPC config to assign a button event for GPS POWER. It is in the list. (I am using EPIC and i am getting a button pulse in game controler and it is the right one) I also have tried using the fs9.cfg and defined a button event GPS_POWER_BUTTON but it just deletes it like it does when you misspell the word. I checked in the controls.dll file to make sure the spelling is correct and it is. I also thought about doing an FSUIPC Write but i couldn't find an offset for GPS Power. I know i must be missing something. Any Ideas?

Sincerely,

Greg White

I am using the newest version of FSUIPC and am having trouble getting a button to work for GPS power.

I don't know whether any of the GPS controls tabulated in CONTROLS.DLL (and hence listed in FSUIPC's drop-downs) are actually hooked up in FS2004. Have you tried any of the others? No one has ever confirmed that they work.

It is entirely possible that the FS team fully intended to link them up but that this didn't make the final release. If they are not so linked then the GPS buttons on the gauge are only mouse-activated.

The controls list contains old controls which used to work but have now loost their function (because of re-written code which isn't linked), and controls which were added ready to make work but which never actually did. I'm afraid that, though back in FS98/2000 days I did test and document each one, I simply never have had time to do so since, and with a growing list (it never diminishes) it gets harder.

I also have tried using the fs9.cfg and defined a button event GPS_POWER_BUTTON but it just deletes it like it does when you misspell the word. I checked in the controls.dll file to make sure the spelling is correct and it is.

That implies that the table in CONTROLS.DLL doesn't have the correct flags to activate it, or a pointer to a PANELS routine to process it. I did decode a couple of the flags years ago (ones classifying controls as Axes or Buttons) but there were some which I never faathomed.

I also thought about doing an FSUIPC Write but i couldn't find an offset for GPS Power.

No, I never found anything for the GPS except the area of readable data (mapped at FSUIPC offsets 6xxx), and even much of that seems in doubt.

I know i must be missing something. Any Ideas?

I doubt that you are missing anything. Sorry. My only suggestion would be to use something like Luciano Napolitano's "Key2Mouse" to map keypresses (programmable on buttons) to mouse events.

[LATER]

I've just looked at the default GPS on the 737. Where is this "power button" anyway? If it isn't implemented on the device, the control, even if valid, won't operate anything.

I tried some of the controls for buttons the GPS does actually have, and they do seem to be linked up okay. Therefore I think the problem you have got is that you want to implement a function which isn't actually programmed in FS at all.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, thanks for your quick reply! I think you are correct. I did not tell you that i am using an add on GARMIN 530 that has a power button that works with a mouse click. I have built a physical radio the looks just like the real thing and the only two buttons i can't make work are the Power and the cursor buttons. All other buttons are mapped.

I will probably look into the mouse click but i have some issues with that also because the area of the screen that has the power btn will be behind another gauge....

THanks Again Pete