The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS Client "Virtual Button Screen" won't appear

Help! I have 2 WideFS clients (version 6.504) - 1 running W2K connecting with IPX/SX and the other XP connecting with TCP/IP. Both clients validly connect to a WideServer (version 6.503) running XP and things like "SendKeyPresses" work fine on both. I entered the [buttonScreen] example from the manual into both WideClient.ini and also the corresponding [buttons] entries in FSUIPC.ini (also from the manual). When I launch WideClient.exe on either client all that appears is the standard grey screen. I know it is probably something simple but can anyone please point me in the right direction to get my "Virtual Buttons" on show?

I entered the [buttonScreen] example from the manual into both WideClient.ini and also the corresponding [buttons] entries in FSUIPC.ini (also from the manual). When I launch WideClient.exe on either client all that appears is the standard grey screen.

There is a limit on the window size below which the buttons cannot show. Have you tried dragging the screen borders to size, or even maximising the window? I've been using this feature continuously since I implemented it -- I use a Lilliput 7" touch-sensitive screen in my cockpit and the extra buttons it provides have come it very useful!

I'm pretty sure the ButtonScreen example in the Manual works as it was one of my first test examples, but please post the copy from your own INI for me to re-check.

Also, please tell me what version of Windows you are using. Maybe that makes a difference, though I doubt it.

Regards,

Pete

Peter

The main client PC is an Athlon XP2100 with an LG L1510SF touch screen @ 1024X768 running Win2K service pack 4. The other client PC is a Toshiba Portege with 10" screen @ 1024X768 running WinXP Pro service pack 2. It makes no difference on either PC whether the screen is resized or maximised - I just get the grey screen.

Thanks for your assistance.

I have attached a copy of the WideClient.ini and FSUIPC.ini.

Doug Dickson

WideClient.zip

It makes no difference on either PC whether the screen is resized or maximised - I just get the grey screen.

Aha! My fault entirely. I omitted to mention a parameter you need in the [user] section. Ooops!

Can you try adding "ButtonScreen=Yes" to the [user] section, please? Let me know. I think, if that isn't there, it doesn't look for a [buttonScreen] section. (You can have a button screen with just a matrix of buttons and no labelling, which wouldn't need a [buttonScreen] section).

There's a complete section on this missing in the WideFS documentation! I'm really terribly sorry about that! Seems you are the first person to try using it since I released it in 6.50 at the end of August! :-(

Regards,

Pete

Pete

It works fine now! I am just starting on the cockpit building trail and I wanted to do some inexpensive "proof of concept" stuff. The first thing I was looking for was a way to eliminate computer intefaces. I was trawling the net trying to find a VB based keyboard emulator with screen buttons when I came across your FSUIPC and WideFS. The button screen is is just what I needed. I am imprressed with its possibilities particularly your sequences, combinations and mixtures button programming facilities in FSUIPC.

Now, if I can get WideView to work...

Thanks once again

Doug

Now, if I can get WideView to work...

If you want to run FS + WidevieW on the same PC as WideClient with a touch-screen, this is possible provided you don't wish to actually run FSUIPC applications via that WideClient. You would need to change the Class name used by WideClient, otherwise it and FS cannot be run together. See the "ClassInstance" parameter, in the documentation.

Regards,

Pete