The simFlight Network Forums

Running FSUPIC app within FS2004

If I build small application in VB6 how would I get the form to display in a window within FS2004, like happens with eg FSPassengers, FSNavigator etc or would it have to run externally like AVS ?

If FS is running full screen it is next to impossible to get a window overlaid on it -- those who have achieved it from modules running within FS, like FSPassengers and FSNavigator, have done very well to have managed it. It gets very complex trying to work around the full screen use of Direct3D to get windows displayed without flicker.

If FS in running in Windowed mode then any program can display a window on top, it is just a matter of manipulating the Z order and setting your window to the fore.

Writing a module to work as part of FS is no easy task, and in VB it is even more difficult -- in fact until recently I would have said it was impossible, but I think someone has achieved it.

Regards,

Pete

Hey Pete,

<<<

Writing a module to work as part of FS is no easy task, and in VB it is even more difficult -- in fact until recently I would have said it was impossible, but I think someone has achieved it.

>>>

Butwhy would anyone want to :D

(Apologies from a long-time VB bigot to any VB fans out there, just seen way too many "Ugly" apps written in VB :D )

If someone has managed it, they must have used at least some C code also, I don't think there would be anyway to duplicate the Import / Export tables the module system uses from VB (could be wrong though, haven't used VB much myself actually).

Of course, writing modules is real easy when you have all the header files available (ducking and running really fast :D ), of course, having been the one that designed/implemented most of the FS95/FS98 module system helps also :D .

Tim