The simFlight Network Forums

found this, could it be for custom FSUIPC gps/mm use?

I found this: http://www.gbax.com/ordergp2x.html mentioned while watching TWiT TV on the web today. (This Week in Tech)

I note it's programable (open source too apparently), got Dual cpus, USB and not all that dear. Could this become an addon on for FSUIPC in the custom GPS/moving map for flightsim arena?

I'm not a great coder so felt it best to ask in here. I'm sure someone will know more about whether or not this could be turned into a handy bit of kit.

I found this: http://www.gbax.com/ordergp2x.html mentioned while watching TWiT TV on the web today. (This Week in Tech)

I'm sure someone will know more about whether or not this could be turned into a handy bit of kit.

If you have the development SDK and you know how to write programs for Linux, then, yes, like any other PC or PDA there's no reason why you cannot write an FS-linkable application, at least for reception of GPSout data via the USB link (used as a COM port on the PC). For linking direct to FSUIPC you'd also need to write a PC application to handle the PC end of the USB link and the interface to FSUIPC.

Not sure if it is worth all that trouble -- you are talking about a lot of development/programming work there. What application(s) are you thinking of? Most extensions of FS really demand more screen real estate, not dinky little things like this.

Regards,

Pete

As I saw it (possibly I'm mistaken) it offers a larger display than some of the entry level personal GPS units, and it's got colour, which again is more than the smallest cheapest units. All this for often less cost than those units.

Being as programmable as it is, I also felt it should offer more flexibility than those existing dedicated single use units.

As for likely use, well what can linux do? It could be used for whatever FSUIPC can offer where a graphical output could be an advantage to the user. It might be that if it were stripped down it could offer use in home pits for all sorts of things. I guess all it would take is some imagination.

The cost of GPS units seems to be held artificially high just now (certainly in the UK) This might be able to offer better value if the software were developed for it. The SDK and quite a lot of other items are part of the deal and are provided at no additional cost. Being open source this could be a fertile development platform.

If it were only a games console then I would not, of course, have mentioned it. It was the potential flexibility which it offered that inspired.

As I saw it (possibly I'm mistaken) it offers a larger display than some of the entry level personal GPS units, and it's got colour, which again is more than the smallest cheapest units. All this for often less cost than those units.

Yes, true, but at least the GPS units come equipped with software and graphics for the application.

Being as programmable as it is, I also felt it should offer more flexibility than those existing dedicated single use units.

Yes, just like a PC or PDA.

I guess all it would take is some imagination.

Well, and programming. ;-)

The SDK and quite a lot of other items are part of the deal and are provided at no additional cost. Being open source this could be a fertile development platform.

Okay. So are you going to take up the challenge?

Regards,

Pete

I seem to be having a day of making mistakes, sorry I mentioned it. I shall not make that particular mistake again.

I don't understand, I don't see any mistakes? You seem to have some good ideas. Sorry if I was coming over rather discouraging -- it's just that it is rather easy to underestimate what is involved in creating completely new applications, even if you have an SDK.

Please don't let me put you off looking at doing it though. I'd be interested in any progress you make.

Regards,

Pete