The simFlight Network Forums

SB3 and widefs

I just bought fsuipc and widefs my question is when i run sb3 on my client pc do i have to plug my headset into that computor to hear atc?? or is there a way i can use my main comp for all sounds when running sb3 on a seperate computor?? up to now i have my headset plugged into my client pc but i cant hear my plane unless i turn on the speakers to my main box. please help thx

I just bought fsuipc and widefs my question is when i run sb3 on my client pc do i have to plug my headset into that computor to hear atc?? or is there a way i can use my main comp for all sounds when running sb3 on a seperate computor?? up to now i have my headset plugged into my client pc but i cant hear my plane unless i turn on the speakers to my main box.

Eryou connect your headset to whichever PC is running whichever program it is providing the sound you want to hear on your headset. Of course!

If SB3 has its own voice built in (and I think it does -- previously you would have had to use Roger Wilco or AVC I think), then of course it is where SB3 is that will have the SB3 sound.

Surely that is the IDEAL situation? You want the ATC on the headset, but the aircraft and other sounds on the main speakers. Much more realistic -- you surely don't want all the sounds mixed on the same headset or speakers?

BTW none of this is anything to do with either FSUIPC or WideFS, which don't deal with sounds. I don't actually use SB3, but I do use Radar Contact and I run that on a separate PC under WideFS specifically so I can get the ATC on a headset, or separate speakers.

Regards

Pete

Ok thank you Pete i thought maybe fsuipc would trick the client pc into using the main pc's sound card wishfull thinking i guess.

But why on Earth would you want all the sound mixed on one set of speakers or, worse, a headset? Surely one of the true benefits of having the ATC on a separate sound card is that you get the sound separated -- for a separate set of speakers, or more realistically a headset. Why would you want to mix them back into the general aircraft engine and other noises?

If you really wanted to take such an odd step you could use a mixer, of course. But it seems to me to be losing the biggest advantage you have with SB3 on a separate PC!

where can i get that radar program you spoke of thanks

Radar Contact version 4 is recently announced, for release in December --- see the "Sticky" thread above on the subject from the author JD. Visit http://www.jdtllc.com.

Regards,

Pete

Ok thank you Pete i thought maybe fsuipc would trick the client pc into using the main pc's sound card wishfull thinking i guess.

But why on Earth would you want all the sound mixed on one set of speakers or, worse, a headset? Surely one of the true benefits of having the ATC on a separate sound card is that you get the sound separated -- for a separate set of speakers, or more realistically a headset. Why would you want to mix them back into the general aircraft engine and other noises?

If you really wanted to take such an odd step you could use a mixer, of course. But it seems to me to be losing the biggest advantage you have with SB3 on a separate PC!

where can i get that radar program you spoke of thanks

Radar Contact version 4 is recently announced, for release in December --- see the "Sticky" thread above on the subject from the author JD. Visit http://www.jdtllc.com.

Regards,

Pete

Because when im flying at 3 o'clock in the morning i dont want my wife coming down and beating me over the head with a rolling pin thats why i use my headset for all sounds. i can press q to turn off sounds when i want to hear or speak to atc. thx for the link ill check it out

Because when im flying at 3 o'clock in the morning i dont want my wife coming down and beating me over the head with a rolling pin thats why i use my headset for all sounds.

Seems best to do away with the second PC then, and run SB3 on the same PC as FS? Otherwise you need a mixer to mix the two outputs, or wire one to the left and the other to the right earpiece?

On the other hand, there's also a volume control for the sound card with the speakers, of course! ;-)

Regards,

Pete