The simFlight Network Forums

GF Display & GF-MCP

Hi Pete. Not sure if I have all of this correctly configured but here goes... I'm trying out the Project Magenta MCP software. I am using it on a networked computer. The GO-Flight MCP is on the networked computer as well. GF Remote is running on the client too. At first I had great success other than not being able to get the IAS/Mach hold switch button-light on the Go-Flight to light. Than I ran across GF Display, installed it on the client computer and now it works. However, the VS display is showing values 100 times higher than normal. If there is a fix in the manual, my apologies. I like to read a little and then learn more hands on. Any ideas? Thanks.

Kevin

... I ran across GF Display, installed it on the client computer and now it works. However, the VS display is showing values 100 times higher than normal.

Sounds like you have an error in the GFDisplay parameters. You can divide the value by 100 before display if needed. Did you look? Show me the relevant code if you are not sure.

Regards,

Pete

I wouldn't know how to do that. My programming skills are null! But I do know how to edit values in ini. and config. files etc. Any help pointing me to the file and line to edit would be appreciated :oops: And I don't know how to show you relevant code. Sorry. I can tell you that when I turn the vs indicator, while in the process, the values are correct. Than when it's idle, it shows the extra two zeros.

OK. Read your manual and fixed it!! Changed the *100 value in D3.2 to/1 and all is good. Thank you for helping me with something that I thought I knew nothing about!! One other thing. Is the BC button on the Go-Flight supposed to control the V/S on the Project Magenta? Mine appears to be controlling the Level Change.

Thanks,

Kevin

I wouldn't know how to do that. My programming skills are null! But I do know how to edit values in ini. and config. files etc. Any help pointing me to the file and line to edit would be appreciated

Ernow I'm confused. How did you program GFdisplay then? It is supplied as a basic kit with documentation and a few examples. The user (i.e. you in this case) is supposed to do what he likes with it. That's the whole point.

Are you just using some examples I included and nothing else? no changes, no editing, nothing?

I can tell you that when I turn the vs indicator, while in the process, the values are correct. Than when it's idle, it shows the extra two zeros.

I'm sorry, but I am having difficulty imagining that. It sounds like somehow you have FS's own VS indication (which is NOT divided by 100) mixed up with PM's VS system which does, I think, use the value divided by 100.

If you can explain exactly what you have done I can try to investigate.

I'm afraid I sold all my GoFlight gear this Summer past -- except for a couple of RP48 and P8 units -- and so have no display units left to test things on. (It isn't something I planned on developing any further -- there's been almost zero feedback in any case).

Regards,

Pete

OK. Read your manual and fixed it!! Changed the *100 value in D3.2 to/1 and all is good.

That's a bit odd. PM normally deals with the V/S in 100's. BTW rather than use /1 (divide by 1) just have no multiplication or division. i.e. remove your /1, it will only make it a little slower. Dividing by 1 doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Anyway, checking back, according to the PM documentation offset X4E6 is used as follows:

MCP/FCU Selected Vertical Speed (Read Only) FCU - FPA in 100s, i.e. 0.9 = 90, -1.4 = -140

but this is a bit ambiguous. If correct it means that a V/S of, say, 6000 would be 60000 here. I read it the other way, that 6000 is here as 60. After all, a value of -6000 would otherwise give -60000, which is actually impossible in the two bytes alloted.

I must admit I am very confused by this, as well as how you were (before) seeing the CORRECT value when you were adjusting it.

Hmm.

One other thing. Is the BC button on the Go-Flight supposed to control the V/S on the Project Magenta? Mine appears to be controlling the Level Change.

It shouldn't do either normally -- BC is a Back Course on the ILS, but this is something airliners (like those supported by PM) do not have!

I canot recall what Button number the BC button sends to FSUIPC now, so I cannot check how it is programmed. Sorry. But it is rather unlikely that I assigned it to "V/S", as Level Change is more useful in most A/P modes. Doesn't the MCP have a V/S button in any case?

[LATER]

Reading a bit of my own documentation (for GFdisplay), I found this:

On PM I’m using the A/P CMD button for the Left A/P (APL or AP1) and the B/C button for the Right A/P (APR or AP2). This allows you to engage autoland in PM, which needs two A/Ps engaged once APP mode is set.

So, unless there's a mistake in the FSUIPC.INI stuff the BC button should do neither of the actions you suggest. ;-)

Regards,

Pete

Sorry Pete but I was mixing up some of your manual with GFRemote manual. In there, it states that the B/C button is programmed to toggle V/S. The only reason that I have GF Display running is because without it, I get no light on my IAS hold(GF-MCP). There is a hardware config in the software but no config available for the GF-MCP. That's why ,I believe, your GF Display worked right off the bat. Thanks again Pete.

Kevin