The simFlight Network Forums

Separate Reversers

Dear Pete!

As I mentioned in another post, I have rebuilt my CH Throttle Quadrant a bit. Levers 1 and 4 and are now larger, looking more or less like the boeing-type ones. Thanks to Your quick and professional help, I was also able to assign two levers for 4 throttles to fly 747. Big thanks once again!

Now, I have another question. I have levers 2 and 3 unoccupied now and I decided to use them as reversers (to simulate the throttle reverse thrust levers of a real aircraft). However, I do not know how to do it... :(

To save Your precious time, I have read both the main and the advanced manuals, as well as searched the Forum through. Unfortunatelly, no combination of information and experiment has brought any results. Looks like I have no idea on how to make my middle levers work as reversers (I expect the levers to activate reverse thrust by being pushed back to their detents for example). Simultaneosuly I would like my two throttle levers not to activate reverse thrust anymore when the new reversers are available. I don't know how to, either.

Is this still possible? Could You tel me how to do it just in a few words?

Thank You so much in advance,

Rafal

I have levers 2 and 3 unoccupied now and I decided to use them as reversers (to simulate the throttle reverse thrust levers of a real aircraft). However, I do not know how to do it... :(

The very last page in the Joysticks section of the FSUIPC options provides calibration facilities for up to 4 reversers. However, I'm sorry, but I have not included facilities to map two reversers to 4 engines. No one has actually asked before, and it isn't a trivial job. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to implement such an option, but perhaps you should remind me in February next year (I am on holiday in January).

To use those axes, because FS doesn't support separate reversers, you would have to assign your spare levers to some unused axes in FS (Joystick assignments), then look up the numeric equivalent of those axes (in the FS2004 controls list provided in the FSUIPC ZIP file), and edit Reverser assignment parameters in FSUIPC's INI file. Check the documentation, the parameters are listed there.

You might find it easier (and maybe more flexible) to assign just one of your spare levers, only, as the reverser -- assign it in FS to the Engine Mixture. Then go to page 7 of FSUIPC's joysticks options and calibrate it. That will drive all the engine reversers.

You could then use the other lever for a speedbrake/spoiler lever. I think this is the best arrangement. You really never need asymmetric reverse thrust in any case, so one lever for all engines is fine.

Simultaneosuly I would like my two throttle levers not to activate reverse thrust anymore when the new reversers are available. I don't know how to, either.

Just calibrate the throttles, in FSUIPC, so that both the Centre and Reverse values (in the boxes underneath) are the same. i.e. Pull the throttles right back, to where idle should be, and click the Set buttons for both Reverse and Idle. Allow them forward a little for the other Idle value, so you always have a good stable idle. Make the Max value still the Max (full forward).

Doing this will stop any reverse thrust being applied -- the minimum "OUT" value will be 0.

Regards,

Pete