The simFlight Network Forums

Override Engine parameters on the 'FSUIPC bus'?

Dear Pete,

currently we're using both Project Magenta and self-written EFIS software in our sim. We do quite a lot of training for line pilots as well as maintenance engineers. Everything is fine except when it comes to properly simulating different kinds of engine failures. As you certainly know, most jet engine parameters provided by FS are not really realistic. N1, N2, FF, EGT are the most important candidates. So much for that.

Since you were able to implement the great and really useful 'position freeze' feature in FSUIPC, I kindly ask if there is a chance to be able to override these (mostly read-only) values in FSUIPC in some way. I think this is the most generic approach that results in proper indications on all client applications which display FS values.

For the time being I'm overriding all values 'artificially' by writing to some 'read only' offsets like for example 'oil pressure Eng 1'. This works for most offsets (not all engine params) but only if my application is at least twice as fast as FS' own framerate. This action is (of course) very, very dirty. In addition, sometimes FS & FSUIPC are faster and I get unwanted 'runaways'.

We have original manufacturer's data for the engines we're using and all the data is readily available in our application. But instead of blindly throwing all the data on the FSUIPC bus permanently, I prefer a more gentleman-like way ;-)

Last but not least, I can not pre-estimate the complexity of this request and if it's actually possible. Furthermore, our sim is mainly used in a commercial environment. Let me emphasize that I don't(!) ask to spend your time for free. We're aware of the fact that the constantly good work you deliver (for years) deserves some kind of financial compensation. We shall discuss this on an e-mail basis (BTW: what is your email address please?)

It would give us great pleasure if we can come to an agreement.

Have a nice week and best regards!

CATIII

... Everything is fine except when it comes to properly simulating different kinds of engine failures.

I kindly ask if there is a chance to be able to override these (mostly read-only) values in FSUIPC in some way.

For the time being I'm overriding all values 'artificially' by writing to some 'read only' offsets

Since these are "results" from the FS simulation engine, changing them won't actually accomplish anything. This is why they get overwritten again on the next frame.

I think this is the most generic approach that results in proper indications on all client applications which display FS values.

So all you want to do is display fictitious values, on displays other than FS's own panels?

If this is the case, what I suspect you really want is the facility to have the PM PFD display values from different offsets when, for instance pmSystems is running. Then, in pmSystems logic you can normally simply copy the FS values into the PM PFD-read offsets except when you want some fictitious values displayed. You could also program better in pmSystems the consequences of such failures.

I suggest you discuss this with Enrico Schiratti in the first instance. Any method involving overwriting FS result values is just as "dirty" as what you are doing, even if it is faster, and, in my opinion, simply isn't the right solution -- unless I am misunderstanding your request.

Regards

Pete