The simFlight Network Forums

Problems with registering FSUIPC in FS2000

Hi Pete,

I've downloaded the latest version of FSUIPC.dll, and copied it into the FS2000/modules folder.

However, when I enter FS2000, and click on FSUIPC in the modules toolbar, windows generates a message saying "Flight Simulator 2000 module has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I've tried re-booting my PC, deleting and re-installing FSUIPC.dll, and even re-installing FS2000, but the same thing keeps happening.

Do you have any idea what the problem may be?

Cheers

However, when I enter FS2000, and click on FSUIPC in the modules toolbar, windows generates a message saying "Flight Simulator 2000 module has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I've tried re-booting my PC, deleting and re-installing FSUIPC.dll, and even re-installing FS2000, but the same thing keeps happening.

No. I've made no changes to anything relating to establishing an entry in the Menu nor even to the way the options window opens, so that is very odd.

Can you tell me, please, what version of FSUIPC you were successfully using before? Also, when you say "latest" version, do you mean 3.51 or one of the interim versions released here since?

I'll see if I can find FS2000 here to try it on. But please also tell me what operating system you are using -- Win98, WinMe, WinXP? Are you runinng anything which messaes about with Windows' appearance, like Window Blinds?

Regards,

Pete

Its v3.51. This is the first time i've used FSUIPC- I need it for Squawkbox 2.3.

The OS is WinXP Home edition, and i'm not running anything that messes around with it.

Okay. ThanksI've just found my old FS2000 Pro edition, and the main "patch 2" which Microsoft issued for it, and even the no-CD replacement EXE, so I'll do some testing tonight/tomorrow. I'll get back as soon as I've got anything.

Pete

Right. I've managed to reproduce what I assume you are seeing -- actually a crash attributed to the visualfx.dll if you click for the "details".

It is something to do with the attempts by FS to redraw the screen and remove the Menu when it is supposed to be hidden. I have tried all sorts of things, but the crash is occurring so deep in FS that I'm not getting very far. If I can fix it, I will, but meanwhile there is a workaround which seems to be okay:

When you want to access FSUIPC's options, first un-hide the menu bar (right click on the outside view and uncheck Hide Menu). Then do the ALT M F or use the mouse to select the FSUIPC options. Don't try to move the options window around -- FS seems a little fragile if you do.

After setting options, etc, close the options window, and, if you wish, re-hide the menu bar.

Sorry about this. It's a real puzzler here and I'm trying to think of ways to zero in on the actual problem.

Regards,

Pete