The simFlight Network Forums

Problems with Autosave

Hey Pete, how are you!

I have been having a problem with Autosave. It began a while ago, and it is that for some reason Autosave keeps saving flights, way beyond the 10 that is supposed to save, and at some moment stops saving as if it feels it is full.

The only way I have to get around with this is to delete all flights saved every once in a while, but I was wondering if there's an easier way.

Thanks a lot

Leo

I have been having a problem with Autosave. It began a while ago, and it is that for some reason Autosave keeps saving flights, way beyond the 10 that is supposed to save, and at some moment stops saving as if it feels it is full.

There's nothing I know which would do that, unless it cannot update its CFG file or cannot find the correct folder where the FLT files are stored. The last problem of the latter type was with foreign versions of FS, which have a different folder name. AutoSave was changed to get around that by reading the folder name from the Language DLL.

What is the folder name for your flights? Are all the autosaved files both FLT + WX types, or are there others? Maybe the files you see are actually made by some other add-on, like .PSS or .FMC files?

What version of Autosave are you using? Please show the AutoSave.CFG file (from the main FS folder).

Regards

Pete

I don't think that is the problem:

C:\Documents and Settings\leo\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files

Okay, but that was only the first question. What about the others? i.e.:

... Are all the autosaved files both FLT + WX types, or are there others? Maybe the files you see are actually made by some other add-on, like .PSS or .FMC files?

What version of Autosave are you using? Please show the AutoSave.CFG file (from the main FS folder).

Can it be the dll is damaged and a simple replacent would solve the problem?

Sounds very unlikely, but it doesn't cost much to try. It would be more likely to get a corrupted CFG file, as that's written all the time.

That reminds me of another possible explanation. The CFG file will be written back with details of the next saved files to be deleted when FS is closed. If FS crashes instead of closing, then the CFG file may not be updated, so the previous set of files never get deleted.

Some programs (Active Camera was one, till it was fixed) actually cause FS to crash on termination -- it often looks as if it has terminated normally, but it hasn't. Next time you close FS, check that the CFG file has the current date/time on it. Also FSUIPC.INI and a load of other files -- they all get saved on successful termination.

Regards,

Pete