The simFlight Network Forums

Weird visability

I wonder if you could help me out someone? All of a sudden after installing the latest version of FSUIPC im getting this weird visability effect, see photo. I'll be honest I dont have a clue what im doing and have read the manual but before I used to have the visability gradually phase out to unlimited from it being what ever i set it on the ground. Any help would be great

Richard

EDIT. It wont allow me to post the picture, I dont know how to lower it to the allowed kb size. What it shows is that when the plane clears the visability layer set by me say 20 miles to 5000ft all I get then is a gradual box of haze below the aircraft until when I get to my cruise level all I have is a box of haze under me. Sorry I cant be of more help

What it shows is that when the plane clears the visability layer set by me say 20 miles to 5000ft all I get then is a gradual box of haze below the aircraft until when I get to my cruise level all I have is a box of haze under me. Sorry I cant be of more help

Sounds like a graphics problem. Why do you think it is anything to do with FSUIPC?

Pete

Because everything was fine until I installed the latest version, do you have an email address so I can send you a pic of what I mean, think ive just screwed my visability settings up some how

Richard

There has been no changes in the visibility options in FSUIPC for many releases. How old was the previous version you used?

What are the visibility settings you have -- show me your FSUIPC.INI file. It's easy enough to change them, in any case.

If you are seeing a large rectangle of "cloud" below you, which moves with the aircraft, then that is the top of the visibility layer and the visibility below that is limited. Microsoft, in their wisdom, tried to solve the "see-through from above" problems of fog by overlaying a thin cloud layer. It is pretty awful, but it means you don't have graduated visibility enabled, or you have but it doesn't start where the FS visibility layer leaves off (set to 0 to do that automatically), and/or doesn't continue to a decent altitude.

The fact that you say you have a visibility layer finishing at 5000 feet seems to indicate this diagnosis.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete here is a copy of my ini file and yes thats what im seeing below the aircraft

[General]

History=QXOMXOESDN5CYB9YMNG0O

WindSmoothing=No

AutoTaxiWind=No

PropTaxiWind=No

TimeSetMode=Partial

WhiteMessages=No

ThrottleSyncAll=No

GraduatedVisibility=Yes

LowerVisAltitude=0

UpperVisAltitude=25000

UpperVisibility=6000

GenerateCirrus=Yes

WindShearSharp=No

UpperWindGusts=No

ExtendMetarMaxVis=Yes

PatchSimApAlt=Yes

DisconnTrimForAP=No

ZeroElevForAPAlt=No

AutoClearWeather=Yes

ExtendTopWind=Yes

WindSmoothness=5

SmoothPressure=No

PressureSmoothness=5

SmoothVisibility=Yes

VisibilitySmoothness=2

MaxSurfaceWind=0

WindLimitLevel=200

WindDiscardLevel=400

WindAjustAltitude=No

WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000

MinimumVisibility=0

MaximumVisibilityFewClouds=6000

MaximumVisibility=2000

MaximumVisibilityOvercast=2000

MaximumVisibilityRainy=1000

OneCloudLayer=No

ThinClouds=No

ThinThunderClouds=No

CloudThinness=1000

ThunderCloudThinness=10000

CloudTurbulence=No

CloudIcing=No

WindTurbulence=No

SuppressAllGusts=No

ExternalOptionControl=Yes

AutoTuneADF=No

KeepFS98CloudCover=No

ShowPMcontrols=No

MagicBattery=No

RudderSpikeRemoval=No

ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No

AileronSpikeRemoval=No

ReversedElevatorTrim=No

TrapUserInterrupt=Yes

NavFreq50KHz=No

ClockSync=No

SmoothIAS=Yes

SetVisUpperAlt=No

VisUpperAltLimit=6000

MaxIce=3

MinIce=-1

WindSmoothingDelay=0

WindSmoothAirborneOnly=No

LimitWindVariance=No

VisSmoothingDelay=5

VisSmoothAirborneOnly=No

TrafficControlDirect=Yes

SuppressCloudTurbulence=No

SuppressWindTurbulence=No

SpoilerIncrement=512

ShortAircraftNameOk=No

TCASid=Flight

TCASrange=40

TrafficScanPerFrame=10

AxisCalibration=No

CentredDialogue=No

ClearWeatherDynamics=Yes

OwnWeatherChanges=No

FixWindows=No

FixControlAccel=No

WeatherReadInterval=4

MoveBGLvariables=Yes

TimeForSelect=4

WeatherReadsFast=No

MainMenu=&Modules

SubMenu=&FSUIPC ...

[JoystickCalibration]

ExclThrottleSet=No

SepRevsJetsOnly=No

FlapsSetControl=0

ReverserControl=66292

Reverser1Control=66422

Reverser2Control=66425

Reverser3Control=66428

Reverser4Control=66431

MaxThrottleForReverser=256

AileronTrimControl=0

RudderTrimControl=0

CowlFlaps1Control=0

CowlFlaps2Control=0

CowlFlaps3Control=0

CowlFlaps4Control=0

Hope that helps

All the best

Richard

Hi Pete here is a copy of my ini file and yes thats what im seeing below the aircraft

Okay, in that case it is normal for FS, it's the way MS implemented it. It isn't anything in FSUIPC and certainly nothing it its parameters. I'm not sure why you've not noticed it before. It's a very widely discussed complaint with FS2004.

Your parameters for FSUIPC visibility options seem fine -- in fact they appear to be more or less the default values.

What was the surface visibility set to? With 20 miles, as you stated earlier, I'm pretty sure you don't normally get a top-of-layer cloud imposed. I thought they only appeared when there was mist or fog on the surface.

You could try raising the minimum visibility so that it is never low enough for the cloud to be imposed, but that way you'd never get fog either.

I think the real solution won't be possible till the next version of FS.

Regards,

Pete

He tried messing with the defaults so in the end up I just uninstalled everything and re downloaded FSUIPC and installed it again. I also installed some new drivers after we spoke so maybe that had something to do with it too. He's just starting to learn about the flightsim and likes trying stuff out. Think im gonna have to buy him a copy for his computer bless him!

All the best

Richard