The simFlight Network Forums

FS Crahes to desktop.

Greetings. I did a very unwise thing and updated my FSUIPC without saving the older version. Is it possible to get a version 3.52 back, please? I cannot run 3.53 on my system because ever since I updated, my FS crashes to desktop 5 - 10 minutes into a flight.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

I totally formatted my FS partition and reinstalled FS. No problems. Installed some of my favorite aircraft - still no problems. Installed UT USA and UT Canada - again no problems. Installed FSUIPC - CTD's start 5 - 10 mins into flight.

Even 3.51 would be nice since I know there were issues with 3.52. I just cannot run 3.53 right now and since it is less than a year till FS X comes out, I don;'t think an old FSUIPC module will kill me.

If any readers see this that have older versions of the module, can you email me a copy? cndittmar@guildofdarkhaven.org

Thanks.

I cannot run 3.53 on my system because ever since I updated, my FS crashes to desktop 5 - 10 minutes into a flight.

There are absolutely no changes to FSUIPC which can do that. The change for 3.53 was merely to allow new registrations in 2006 to be accepted.

I totally formatted my FS partition and reinstalled FS. No problems. Installed some of my favorite aircraft - still no problems. Installed UT USA and UT Canada - again no problems. Installed FSUIPC - CTD's start 5 - 10 mins into flight.

Why did you do all those things? Are you saying you did all that BETWEEN running FS with 3.52 and 3.53? If so, how is this "narrowing it down" to 3.53?

Assuming you are using FS9.1 (the original version FS9 had lots more reasons for CTDs), CTDs are almost always driver problems -- most notably video and sound drivers. The only reason there may be a difference between having FSUIPC installed or not (assuming you have nothing actually using FSUIPC) is down to small timing differences and memory arrangements.

You really do need to do a process of elimination other than simply discarding better versions of FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

Problem solved!!!

It turns out I had a copy of 3.50 stashed with my backup copy of the PSS 777. Once I reverted back to that version, my sim is now stable and working. Just to be sure this WAS the issue, I reinstalled 3.53 -- result was CTD again 5-10 mins into the flight. Now running 3.50 again and steady as she goes on a coastal flight :-)

I suppose it's the same scenario as Graphics drivers on some folks systems -- newer is not always better. It works now though with the older module, so I am happy :-) I custom built my own rig, so I am going to presume this was entirely system related (which I knew from the beginning, since no one else posted here about this problem, this was definately something which is related directly to my system and NOT Flight Simulator).

<<>> - just got done with a 3 hour flight with FSUIPC v3.50 - no issues at all and everything worked beautifully. Problem definately solved. :-)