The simFlight Network Forums

Palm working wit GPS out

Guys

Here are a couple of images pete wanted me to post of the GPS Out and a plm working together.

All you need is FS & GPS OUT, blootooth radio and a palm device.

Here are some pictures:

ELITE with palm

IMG_1965.jpg

ELITE reporting info

IMG_1966.jpg

Map

IMG_1968.jpg

MSFS with same app

IMG_1972.jpg

MSFS reporting

IMG_1973.jpg

MSFS Map

IMG_1975.jpg

last one

IMG_1977.jpg

Here are a couple of images pete wanted me to post of the GPS Out and a plm working together.

All you need is FS & GPS OUT, blootooth radio and a palm device.

Nice pix, and thanks for posting them. But actually it was the nitty-gritty of HOW you got GPSout talking to the Palm that folks here might need to know. There seems to be a lot of difficulty with getting the USB stuff to operate like a normal serial port -- maybe because the usual PDA Synch. programs take over?

I have a Garmin iQue 3600 (a Palm with OS5, but USB connection, no WiFi nor Bluetooth), and an iPaq PocketPC with USB, WiFi and Bluetooth, and I've not managed to talk to either! :-(

Possibly your Palm has an ordinary COM connection, not a USB, which would presumably be a lot easier? But you mention Bluetooth? I purchased a little Bluetooth-USB device for my PC and can't make it do anything with anything.

Maybe you could show your GPSout.INI parameters, and notes of how you connected, and set up, the Palm end, please?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Pete

Sorry About the limited info (was bed time last night :) )

The product I was using was the demo for: http://gpspilot.com called fly

flySchema.gif

Here is what I did to get this all working.

Items used:

Desktop CPU with a netgear USB/Bluetooth adapter. (FS2004 and GPSout installed)

Palm Treo 650 with Fly from GPS pilot.

Bluetooth creates a virtual serial port, for use to connect external devices (like palm). This port you would use for GPSout to comunicate.

Here are things I learned the hard way:

1. When you plug in the the USB device, windows will install its generic drivers (do not allow that) go to the device manager and install the manufacturers drivers, if you dont do that the radio will not work.

2. Buy the name brand Bluetooth usb devices, Dont bother with Generic, they are the same price anyways (dont ask why I did)

3. Make sure you establish a connection as a test before you consider running the sim. (check the box allways allow this connection) so when you are in the sim, it will not prompt you behind the window.

4. I tested both secure and unsecure, and they worked the same.

5. Configure GPSout to the "Bluetooth" com port

6. Start FS and load up your GPS palm software, connect via Bluetooth - you might hear windows chime, indicating conecting...

and that is all too it...

let me know if you guys have more questions...

pete thanks again.

1. When you plug in the the USB device, windows will install its generic drivers (do not allow that) go to the device manager and install the manufacturers drivers, if you dont do that the radio will not work.

AhI think this was where my Bluetooth adapter went wrong. I had two installs going on at the same time (I did put the manufacturer's disk in), and i think I just said yes to everything. I will try uninstalling everything and starting again.

I'll look to see if they have a PocketPC version, as my Palm doesn't have BlueTooth.

Thanks for all the information. I hope it will help others too.

[LATER ...]

Darn it! They only support Palm. Shame, it's a good looking program! Maybe worth getting a Palm with bluetooth. I don't use this Ipaq in any case. ;-)

Best regards,

Pete

AhI think this was where my Bluetooth adapter went wrong. I had two installs going on at the same time (I did put the manufacturer's disk in), and i think I just said yes to everything. I will try uninstalling everything and starting again.

I'll look to see if they have a PocketPC version, as my Palm doesn't have BlueTooth.

Thanks for all the information. I hope it will help others too.

[LATER ...]

Darn it! They only support Palm. Shame, it's a good looking program! Maybe worth getting a Palm with bluetooth. I don't use this Ipaq in any case. ;-)

Best regards,

Pete

Hey Pete same happend to me, go to the device manager and updade driver for bluetooth generic radio, then browse to the path of the correct driver then it shoul work.

Cal-

Hey Pete same happend to me, go to the device manager and updade driver for bluetooth generic radio, then browse to the path of the correct driver then it shoul work.

I did it! I used the long way round -- uninstalled everything I could find dealing with BlueTooth. then installed the stuff from the manufacturer's CD (Belkin it was) -- but this time I did NOT plug in the bluetooth adapter first! I think that was the problem last time. It got very confusing. This time I refused to put the adapter in untill all the software was installed, THEN plugged it in and followed the instructions to point it to where the drivers were.

... and it works! Well, it talks to my mobile phone and to my mobile phone headset (provided the mobile phone isn't already connected to it!). I could use the little mobile phone headset (light, comfortable thing clipping to the ear) for ATC, if I ever fly on-line!

All I need now is a Palm with Bluetooth! ;-)

Thanks!

Pete

... and it works! Well, it talks to my mobile phone and to my mobile phone headset (provided the mobile phone isn't already connected to it!). I could use the little mobile phone headset (light, comfortable thing clipping to the ear) for ATC, if I ever fly on-line!

All I need now is a Palm with Bluetooth! ;-)

Thanks!

Pete

Glad to hear that it works.... windows needs to quit thinking for its self what drivers are suited best for its users.

C-

Shame my Zire31 doesn't have BT either... the GPS Pilot demo ran well on it. I just couldn't get it to talk with FS2004...

The Palm has a native USB to RS232 chip built in. This may be a standard chip from a different manufacturer, but the Vendor and Product ID's have been changed. Palms (at least the older types) are only able to communicate through RS232 which gets converted into USB internally.

Palm has kits available (at least for the Zire 31) to connect a GPS receiver to it, which obviously has the industry standard RS232 connector. If you hook that via a null modem cable to your PC's serial port (yes, you DO have a regular COM port, right?) and things should work like you connected a REAL GPS unit through the COM port. The Palm doesn't know it's talking to a PC and the PC doesn't know it's talking to a Palm. As long as they're speaking the same language...

I haven't been able to make this work here because I couldn't find supplier for a GPS kit. Maybe it's available online.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Glad to find someone who has actually gotten their 650 to work with FS2004.

Can't say I have the same luck, though.

Here's the story...

//

I have a Cingular-branded Treo 650, a Kensington Bluetooth 'Dongle' for my PC (plugs into the USB, outputs/inputs the bluetooth signal), and I'm using GPS Flightmaster for the software on my Treo.

The 'Dongle' is all set-up (plugged into the USB port on the front of the computer), and the phone can sync with the PC through it. I'm using COM4, which I've set up as a 'virtual serial'.

I go into my Treo's GPS software, configure it to receive data via Bluetooth. I hear the chime, but when I turn the GPS mode to "ON", I get a "GPS NOT DETECTED".

Anyone got an idea? I'd really like to try this out before I get in the plane with it, and my GPS receiver should be here in a couple of days.

//

GPS FlightMaster - Website (Yes, it supports FS2004, but no support is offered on the matter)