The simFlight Network Forums

ADV display in multiple monitor

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to dock the ADV display in a second monitor. I tried to dock it, but each time I switch the view the ADV display disappears. I am using the adv dispaly together with RC4.

It works here but you normally need to use "Lock" not "Dock" -- the Docking facility is used to associate it with a panel part.

If there's no part of FS on the second monitor, you might want to try using the ShowText utility, supplied in the AdvDisp package, instead. Just use the Hide Always option in AdvDisplay and set up ShowText as you wih. It has rather more display options than Advdisplay in any case. You could also make it run and close automatically using the FSUIPC facilities to run programs.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I tried, but it doesn't work. The second monitor is connected to the same video card, and I usually use it to show some panels (throttle, overhead, and so on). I tried to lock the ADV over any of these but if I switch the view the ADV disappears. I tried also the Showtext with the option: always on top. But I got the same results.

Everything works fine if I don't use the view maximisation, but the windowed mode.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Pap

I tried, but it doesn't work. The second monitor is connected to the same video card, and I usually use it to show some panels (throttle, overhead, and so on). I tried to lock the ADV over any of these but if I switch the view the ADV disappears.

Switching views will temporarily lose the display in DOCKED mode, because the panel part is closed too, but the LOCKED mode merely re-displays over any part. I've never found a case where it doesn't work. I don't understand how it doesn't in your case. Whay mode are your two displays configured in? for FS you really need them as a single wide screen.

I tried also the Showtext with the option: always on top. But I got the same results.

You can't use ShowText over parts of FS. As I said, try that if your other monitor is not using any part of FS. In full screen mode, the FS windows will always prevail. That's what "full screen" means -- FS takes over the entire video system.

Regards,

Pete

I use it in widescreen mode. When I switch it the adv disappears and to have it back again I need to go through the modules menu. I have tried also to lock it on some of the instruments in the second monitor, but it doesn't work. I can only lock or dock it in the main monitor.

I use it in widescreen mode. When I switch it the adv disappears and to have it back again I need to go through the modules menu. I have tried also to lock it on some of the instruments in the second monitor, but it doesn't work. I can only lock or dock it in the main monitor.

There's something weird going on with your video driver then. I cannot make it disappear here. I use nVidia cards -- what video card are you using, and what drivers? It is most odd. AdvDisplay has been in use on many systems now for many years, with very few changes ever needed. This is not just with RC, though it has been the mainstay of RC's menu system since RC version 2 I think. Certainly all the way through Version 3.

You shouldn't need to go to the Modules menu in any case. If you need to switch it on and off there's a Hot Key option for it in FSUIPC's HotKeys tab -- you can assign a keystroke then either use the keyboard, or program a Button to send that Keystroke.

Regards,

Pete

I use an ATI X1800 XT with catalyst 6.1.

Doubt:

when I lock the ADV in the second monitor (over a panel or not) and I switch my view (in the main monitor: i.e. from VC to Spot), the ADV should disappear and when I switch back to the previous view (VC) the ADV should reappear, is that correct?

If it is the case, my ADV when I switch back just doesn't reappear. (Of course I can use the Hotkey to switch it on again, instead of the modules menu).

Thank you again for your patience.

Pap

when I lock the ADV in the second monitor (over a panel or not) and I switch my view (in the main monitor: i.e. from VC to Spot), the ADV should disappear and when I switch back to the previous view (VC) the ADV should reappear, is that correct?

No, not when "Locked", only when "Docked".

I must admit I don't know about Virtual Cockpits. They didn't exist when AdvDisp was designed. What you say does happen, at least on the main monitor, when the window is Docked to a panel part.

The Lock facility is not related to panel parts at all. The window should simply stay locked in position. It is never hidden of its own accord when locked. If it disappears it sounds like the way FS is handling the display is causing the Z-order to become messed up.

The details for "Locking" are saved in the AdvDisp INI file, those for Docking are panel-dependent and saved in the aircraft's Panel.CFG file in the [AdvDisp] section. You can check that to see what it is docked to.

It seems there may be some second monitor arrangements in full screen mode which cause some problems. I wonder if this is all related to the problems I've seen with FS2004 on two monitors in any case. On my nVidia two-monitor set up, having FS2004 in full screen mode makes it almost impossible to have a panel set up which is remembered from one aircraft load to the next, let alone across reloads of FS. I think others have complained about this FS bug as well. It used to all work fine in FS2002 and FS2000.

I hope this sort of thing will be resolved in FSX. Meanwhile, possibly swapping the use of the two monitors over might help? If the main one is to the right, the coordinates for the left probably go negative which may just be one cause of problems. If you are using Lock instead of Dock perhaps you could show me the AdvDisplay.ini file so we can see the saved position? For Dock you'd need to find the section in the Panel.cfg file.

Regards,

Pete

The problem is that I cannot dock the ADV on the second monitor. The option is grayed. I attach my adv ini, so you can see if I am missing something.

Thank you

If the "dock" option is grayed then all that means is there is no cockpit panel part for it to dock to.

The INI relates to the Locking, not Docking.

There was no need to "RAR" the file and upload it for downloading. it is only a few lines long, look:

[AdvDisplay]
Window=1290,382,324,188,1,1
Enabled=Yes
PositionLocked=Yes
HideWindow=No
AutoHide=No
AlsoATIS=Yes
MultiLineOnly=No
Scroll=Normal

There's nothing wrong with that, so I think you are seeing another symptom of how FS2004 misbehaves in full screen mode on multiple monitors.

Pete