The simFlight Network Forums

The use of FSUIPC_Process ?

In most cases, programming enviroment C++ Borland, I can use FSUIPC_Read and FSUIPC_Write without using FSUIPC_Process ?

Unless someone has changed my original C source code in preparing something for Borland, the Read and Write calls do nothing but add requests into the data area allocated as a memory file by the Open call. There would be no communication to FS or FSUIPC at all.

The job of the Process call is to send a message to FSUIPC to ask it to look at the memory file and process the accumulated requests.

Or does FSUIPC_Process only purpose with FSWide ?

Not at all. It is the only call which actually talks to FSUIPC. There are Process calls in the Open request too -- to obtain the FS and FSUIPC versions.

Having said that, the sources for all the stuff you use in your program are in the public domain and included in the SDK, and anyone may change them. However, including the message calling part of the Process call in every single read and Write request is grossly inefficient, as each such call invokes a process change. Of all the time needed for inter-process communications, it is the process switching which takes the most -- the actual reads/writes (no matter how many) are normally accomplished well within a single millisecond, whereas the process switching and message queuing involved can be tens or even hundreds of milliseconds.

I had a quick look inside the Borland ZIP in the SDK and cannot see any library that I'd recognise as such -- I don't know the filetypes BPR and DFM though. Isn't the Borland package there just a wrapper for my original C provisions?

Regards,

Pete

...I had a quick look inside the Borland ZIP in the SDK and cannot see any library that I'd recognise as such -- I don't know the filetypes BPR and DFM though. Isn't the Borland package there just a wrapper for my original C provisions?...

It is in FSHellomain.cpp (the library routines), but as being said before...my stupidness was recognize in a different corner. :oops:

BPR are Borland Project Files and DFM are Delphi Form Files.