The simFlight Network Forums

Flight Environment and WideFS

Hi,

Is it possible to use one PC (with WideClient) to run Flight Environment while another one (successfully networked) runs FS?

Can you also put FS2004's sceneries onto WideFS's 'list of things to do'?

If so, how? I'm sorry to say that i'm a bit perplexed by the detailed instruction manual that came with WideFS!

Thankyou,

Nick Collett

Hi,

FE is a texture loader. You run it one time before starting FS04 and then close it down. Unless you are short on hard disk space what would be the point?

Scenery folders can be stored anywhere right now and do not need WideFS. All you do is map their location in the FS04 Library screen.

You have WideFS but you may be confused as to what it does or if you even need it. It allows programs that run continuously with FS04 to be run over a network. Does this fit your understanding?

Hi, thanks for the reply!

What I really want to do is to give the other PC the task of handling the weather itself, to give the FS2004 PC better FPS and fluidity. This is what I really meant, I agree that I didn't phrase my first post very well!

Thanks,

Nick

What I really want to do is to give the other PC the task of handling the weather itself, to give the FS2004 PC better FPS and fluidity. This is what I really meant, I agree that I didn't phrase my first post very well!

ActiveSky and FSMeteo both run very well over WideFS. I've always used them that way.

BTW, in your earlier message you said

Can you also put FS2004's sceneries onto WideFS's 'list of things to do'?

... but I'm afraid I've no idea what you mean by that. What has FSUIPC and WideFS got to do with scenery?

I'm sorry to say that i'm a bit perplexed by the detailed instruction manual that came with WideFS!

Why? Just install WideServer.DLL into FS's Module folder, then run WideClient on another PC on your Network. If both PCs are running WinXP and the network is working and not blocked by firewalls then, with the latest version of WideFS, that's all you need to do with WideFS. Why do you want to delve into all the technical stuff? It says right at the beginning what to do.

Pete