The simFlight Network Forums

IF FSUIPC would cause a crash...

IF it would, what conditions would it cause a crash.

I am having consistant FS2k2 crashing problems and I thought I had it narrowed down to ActiveSky Wx but I can't say that anymore, I ran the bird in the air withoug AS running and she crashed. In another forum, I was told to delete the FSUIPC and the FSUIPC.INI file and reinstall FSUIPC and see if this helped.

Any thoughts here?

IF it would, what conditions would it cause a crash.

I am having consistant FS2k2 crashing problems and I thought I had it narrowed down to ActiveSky Wx but I can't say that anymore, I ran the bird in the air withoug AS running and she crashed. In another forum, I was told to delete the FSUIPC and the FSUIPC.INI file and reinstall FSUIPC and see if this helped.

Any thoughts here?

IF it would, what conditions would it cause a crash ...

Any thoughts here?

There are no known conditions where FSUIPC, operating on its own, will crash FS.

But FSUIPC is merely an interface program, allowing access into FS from external applications, and some numbers of aircraft panels too. Anyone can write programs which crash FS through misuse of this interface -- just writing silly values to some FS locations will do this.

That said, there are currently no outstanding bugs causing FS crashes with any known products, or at least none at all that have been notified to me. Not only that, but for at least the last year all instances of crashes in FS have ultimately turned out to be due to other things -- buggy video drivers, faulty gauges, mis-installed panels, overheating video cards, and assorted interactions with other programs like virus checkers, to name a few.

It seems that FSUIPC is thought to be the cause of all the FS ills in the world, and it really gets quite depressing. Sorry, but I think you need to look elsewhere.

Pete

IF it would, what conditions would it cause a crash ...

Any thoughts here?

There are no known conditions where FSUIPC, operating on its own, will crash FS.

But FSUIPC is merely an interface program, allowing access into FS from external applications, and some numbers of aircraft panels too. Anyone can write programs which crash FS through misuse of this interface -- just writing silly values to some FS locations will do this.

That said, there are currently no outstanding bugs causing FS crashes with any known products, or at least none at all that have been notified to me. Not only that, but for at least the last year all instances of crashes in FS have ultimately turned out to be due to other things -- buggy video drivers, faulty gauges, mis-installed panels, overheating video cards, and assorted interactions with other programs like virus checkers, to name a few.

It seems that FSUIPC is thought to be the cause of all the FS ills in the world, and it really gets quite depressing. Sorry, but I think you need to look elsewhere.

Pete

Hold your head up! I didn't come in here belly aching to you or complaining. I was just naturally curious and I believe you. I see FSUIPC as a totally benign program that just passes information from one place to another. Kinda like a lawyer (bad parallel, I hate a freak'n lawyer).

I think FSUIPC rocks! :)

Hold your head up! I didn't come in here belly aching to you or complaining. I was just naturally curious and I believe you. I see FSUIPC as a totally benign program that just passes information from one place to another. Kinda like a lawyer (bad parallel, I hate a freak'n lawyer).

Okay, thanks for that.

If you do get any more information on the problem and want me to look at it (e.g. a DrWatson dump, as described in the FSUIPC User Guide under "If FS crashes ...") then Zip the data up and send it. Maybe an FSUIPC log too, plus a description of how you made it crash and a list of other add-ons being used. Please make sure you are using latest versions first, of course.

Generally, however, now that most folks are using XP rather than WinMe or Win98 I'm not finding the DrWatson dumps at all useful. They seem to be completely obscure and unhelpful compared to those produced under Win98. [if there's any reader who knows how to interpret XP DrWatson's perhaps he would get in touch with me, please?].

Regards,

Pete

Okay, thanks for that.

If you do get any more information on the problem and want me to look at it (e.g. a DrWatson dump, as described in the FSUIPC User Guide under "If FS crashes ...") then Zip the data up and send it. Maybe an FSUIPC log too, plus a description of how you made it crash and a list of other add-ons being used. Please make sure you are using latest versions first, of course.

Generally, however, now that most folks are using XP rather than WinMe or Win98 I'm not finding the DrWatson dumps at all useful. They seem to be completely obscure and unhelpful compared to those produced under Win98. [if there's any reader who knows how to interpret XP DrWatson's perhaps he would get in touch with me, please?].

Regards,

Pete