The simFlight Network Forums

PFD + EICAS

Hi Pete,

sorry if that issue was allready raised before. Also I searched I didn't find an answer for me.

I had to reinstall my FS2004 from scratch and as I did that I had to connect two screens to one PC which where on two PCs before. On those screens I display PFD/ND on Nr. 1 and EICAS on Nr. 2.

This all works well.

But I also want to change the display with the keyboard from my "Main-FS-PC". I can do that with WideFS and "Keysend". In principle it works (and I had no problems when I had two PCs for the two monitors).

The problem I now have is that some of the "keystrokes" should end up at PFD/ND and others on the EICAS-screen. Now I learned that I have to use different "classnames" to distinquish between the two applications. I tried a lot but I was unable to find out how I could do it. Both applications use the same classname and the same "Windows-Title". In your manual (I think in WideFS) you mention that you can set the classname in the pfd.ini-file. Do you know how?? Or is this a problem for our friends at PM?

Thank you for your assistance!

Klaus

I had to reinstall my FS2004 from scratch and as I did that I had to connect two screens to one PC which where on two PCs before. On those screens I display PFD/ND on Nr. 1 and EICAS on Nr. 2.

Project Magenta?

But I also want to change the display with the keyboard from my "Main-FS-PC". I can do that with WideFS and "Keysend". In principle it works (and I had no problems when I had two PCs for the two monitors).

But you don't have any use for WideFS on a single PC. WideFS works across a Network, only. Do you mean you are now using 2 PCs whereas previously 3? I'll have to assume that ...

What changes do you want to make to the display with key strokes? If they are all standard cockpit things like those operated by switches on the EFIC panel (range, mode, traffic, WX, Arc mode, etc) then you are better off using the internal FSUIPC-driven commands in any case, just like real hardware EFIS panels would.

Both applications use the same classname and the same "Windows-Title". In your manual (I think in WideFS) you mention that you can set the classname in the pfd.ini-file. Do you know how?? Or is this a problem for our friends at PM?

Well, that's really a question for PM support, for sure, but I don't know if Enrico still allows the Class names to be set. However, it is no problem as you can use the Window title to select it as well, and there is certainly still a "WindowName" parameter in the INI file. Didn't you look?

Can you let me know if you find out from PM support that the class names are no longer changeable? That would be a shame, and I will need to amend the WideFS documentation.

Regards,

Pete

Further to my last reply, it occurs to me that you may have actually missed the easiest way to direct key strokes from WideClient to selected programs.

Just get WideClient to actually run the programs for you (with RunN or, usually better, RunReadyN parameters), and close them too (CloseN and CloseReadyN), and then use the "RunN" or "RunReadyN" parameters on the ends of the usual KeySend lines.

This facility is actually the first to be described in the Directing Keystrokes more precisely section, before CLASS names.

Pete

Hi Pete

thanks for your reply.

Okay your assumptions are right. I was talking about Project Magenta and I have had 3 PCs before and currently have 2 (one is "kaputt").

Anyway! Your second reply ist the answer to my "challenge". It works if you define the "RunReadyN" parameter in the "KeysendN" line.

So my lines in WideClient.ini look like:

RunReady1=C:\PM\MCP\MCP.EXE

RunReady2=C:\PM\PFD\PFD.EXE

RunReady3=C:\PM\PFD2\PFD.EXE

CloseReady1=Yes

CloseReady2=Yes

CloseReady3=Yes

KeySend1=34,8,RunReady2,ThunderRT6FormDC,"PFD GLASS COCKPIT" ;Page Down

KeySend2=33,8,RunReady2,ThunderRT6FormDC,"PFD GLASS COCKPIT" ;Page Up

KeySend10=9,8,RunReady3,ThunderRT6FormDC,"PFD2 GLASS COCKPIT" ;Tab"

I found out the the Windowsname now is ThunderRT6FormDC"

No changes in PFD.INI necessary.

Thank you again

Klaus

So my lines in WideClient.ini look like:

RunReady1=C:\PM\MCP\MCP.EXE

RunReady2=C:\PM\PFD\PFD.EXE

RunReady3=C:\PM\PFD2\PFD.EXE

CloseReady1=Yes

CloseReady2=Yes

CloseReady3=Yes

KeySend1=34,8,RunReady2,ThunderRT6FormDC,"PFD GLASS COCKPIT" ;Page Down

KeySend2=33,8,RunReady2,ThunderRT6FormDC,"PFD GLASS COCKPIT" ;Page Up

KeySend10=9,8,RunReady3,ThunderRT6FormDC,"PFD2 GLASS COCKPIT" ;Tab"

Most of the stuff on your KeySend lines is now completely redundant. The RunReady parameter is INSTEAD of the Class and Window name. You don't use both, and the last two will be ignored in any case. They should read, simply:

KeySend1=34,8,RunReady2 ;Page Down

KeySend2=33,8,RunReady2 ;Page Up

KeySend10=9,8,RunReady3 ;Tab

Regards,

Pete