The simFlight Network Forums

Strange FSUIPC+WIDEFS behaviour

Hi,

I have two problems with WideFS (under FS2004 and Windows XP Pro Sp1, FSUIPC ver 3.53 and WideFS 6.51):

1) when I load the Flight1 ATR72 with WideServer active and running I get a message error reporting that some gauges are not working due to the wrong version of FSUIPC...they require FSUIPC v3.41 or above...but the current version of FSUIPC is 3.53.

If I remove WideServer.dll from the FS Modules folder, restart FS2004 and reload the Flight1 ATR72 everything works good...why this strange behaviour?

2) I'm developing a "glass cockpit gauge" (torque indicator for a twin turboprop) that reads value of torque through FSUIPC.

Everything works good if it runs in the local computer (with FS2004 installed) but if I copy it in a client computer, run WideFS Client and then my glass cockpit gauge it doesn't read any of the FSUIPC offsets.

It seems that it isn't connected to the WideFS Server but FS2004 reports 1 client connected (on the main window caption) and Wide Client's state is "connected".

My glass cockpit gauge is written with Delphi so I went into debug (in the client computer) of FPCUser (that is the Unit providing the FSUIPC support for Delphi) and I found that when I call the FSUIPC_Open the connection to FSUIPC is refused because it seems it reads a wrong version of FSUIPC.

Here follows the part of FSUIPC_Open for Delphi (I think it's similar to the one in C++) where the procedure quits:

// Only allow running on FSUIPC 1.998e or later

// with correct check pattern $FADE

if ((FSUIPC_Version < $19980005) or ((FSUIPC_FS_Version and $FFFF0000) <> $FADE0000)) then

begin

if fWideFS then dwResult := FSUIPC_ERR_RUNNING

else dwResult := FSUIPC_ERR_VERSION;

FSUIPC_Close();

Result := FALSE;

Exit;

end;

Why is it recognized a wrong version of FSUIPC if there is the v3.53?

Thank you, regards.

Bob

1) when I load the Flight1 ATR72 with WideServer active and running I get a message error reporting that some gauges are not working due to the wrong version of FSUIPC...they require FSUIPC v3.41 or above...but the current version of FSUIPC is the 3.53.

If I remove WideServer.dll from the FS Modules folder, restart FS2004 and reload the Flight1 ATR72 everything works good...why this strange behaviour?

Sorry, I cannot guess from that information. I did not even know any aircraft gauges actually bothered to check FSUIPC versions. Could you do the two tests again, but each time save the FSUIPC.LOG file after you close down FS, then Zip them up and send them to me at petedowson@btconnect.com so I can take a look.

It would help if you enabled IPC Read and IPC Write logging (in FSUIPC's options, Logging) before you load the ATR72, so I can see what is happening in detail. It may make the files quite big, so be sure to Zip them, and don't run FS longer than needed.

2) I'm developing a "glass cockpit gauge" (torque indicator for a twin turboprop) that reads value of torque through FSUIPC.

Why is it recognized a wrong version of FSUIPC if there is the v3.53?

I don't know, but did you check any of the Logs to see if it told you? FSUIPC makes a Log file, as do both WideServer and Wideclient. Please take a look.

It is possible that there is an error in your WideServer registration, which could account for both phenomena. If you want me to check that for you, include your FSUIPC.KEY file (also from the FS Modules folder) in the Zip with the Logs. I cannot find any record of your registration for either program here, but my records aren't 100% complete and you may be using a different email address now. Nevertheless I can check the details in your KEY file for you.

Regards,

Pete

I found it...it's strange but it's all due to the firewall (Sygate) !!

I don't know which is the interaction between that firewall and FSUIPC or WideFS Server but if I close it, WideFS start working correctly and I don't get that "wrong FSUIPC version" anymore (both from the client computer and server computer).

Don't ask me "why" because it's a mistery :shock:

Regards,

Bob

I found it...it's strange but it's all due to the firewall (Sygate) !! ...

Don't ask me "why" because it's a mistery :shock:

Sounds like the firewall allows the connection but not the data transfers. Strange. Can't you tell it which programs are friends?

I don't have any firewalls between my PCs -- there's only me using them and I trust myself! ;-). I rely on my broadband router to protect me from the wild world outside!

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,

Pete