The simFlight Network Forums

Wideclient using 90 to 100% CPU time

Hi Pete,

I have bad news and I have good news.

Every version of FSUIPC from 6.101 has been utilizing 90 to 100% of CPU time on one of my WINXP Home Edition SP2 Systems. I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what was the cause which I have discovered, and I just wanted to pass along the findings. I use a scanner program (for work which I actually do sometimes) and this program has 2 dll's, hotres32.dll and HSPFC232.dll which get linked during wideclient loading and remain resident causing wideclient to operate at 100% CPU time. This does not occur on WIN2k machines or WIN98 machines.

I uninstalled the offending program called PaperMaster Pro, and the problem is gone and these dll's are no longer getting loaded at startup.

Everything is back to working great.

FYI

Steve M

Every version of FSUIPC from 6.101 has been utilizing 90 to 100% of CPU time on one of my WINXP Home Edition SP2 Systems.

I assume you must mean Wideclient, because FSUIPC is still only at version 3.53x, and in any case itt runs inside FS which itself soaks up 100% of the processor if it can.

I use a scanner program (for work which I actually do sometimes) and this program has 2 dll's, hotres32.dll and HSPFC232.dll which get linked during wideclient loading

They get loaded into WideClient's virtual machine? Uh? Certainly Wideclient itself only loads what it needs, so those DLLs must be hooking into something that it needs. Did you find out what at all?

... and remain resident causing wideclient to operate at 100% CPU time. This does not occur on WIN2k machines or WIN98 machines.

Even stranger --- so those DLLs soak up processor time, but only on WinXP systems?

I uninstalled the offending program called PaperMaster Pro, and the problem is gone and these dll's are no longer getting loaded at startup.

Everything is back to working great.

That's good, but it is a very odd puzzle for sure. It would be handy to know what is really loading those DLLs.

I've looked for PaperMaster Pro, and it is a very expensive piece of software (199 Euros!). There's a free trial which I've downloaded, so I'll try that and see if I get the same problems.

Thanks,

Pete

... this program has 2 dll's, hotres32.dll and HSPFC232.dll which get linked during wideclient loading and remain resident causing wideclient to operate at 100% CPU time. This does not occur on WIN2k machines or WIN98 machines.

I uninstalled the offending program called PaperMaster Pro

Okay. I downloaded and installed the Trial version of PaperMaster Pro -- it is currently at Version 7. It doesn't have those two DLLs -- most of its DLLs now begin "J2" or "PM" -- I think the latter are plug-ins for other programs.

Running WideClient after installing PaperMaster Pro 7, there's no difference I can see in processor usage. I examined what had been loaded into WideClient's process, and, yes, there were two DLLs from PaperMaster:

J2GpfcW.dll

J2GRes_Enu.dll

I think these must be operating some sort of monitoring of messages on the Network, presumably so it can keep track of what it needs to catalogue. However, certainly in this version, and I am using WinXP, there's no noticeable overhead.

I suspect that the version of PaperMaster you have is older than version 7, and was possibly originally written for Win2000, or WinNT, or even maybe Win98? I would think that its poor behaviour on WinXP is due to something which they've now fixed.

So, if you want to use that PC with PaperMaster it looks like a version upgrade is in order.

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

your right it is wideclient 3.51.

I used a program called dependency walker to look at what was going on. Here is where the problem begins. Once the HSPFCW32.DLL is hooked by dllmain, cpu time goes to 100%. Hmm???

All is fine without this program installed.

Loaded "c:\windows\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV" at address 0x73000000 by thread 1. Successfully hooked module.

DllMain(0x71B20000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\MPR.DLL" called by thread 1.

DllMain(0x71B20000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\MPR.DLL" returned 1 (0x1) by thread 1.

DllMain(0x73000000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV" called by thread 1.

DllMain(0x73000000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV" returned 1 (0x1) by thread 1.

DllMain(0x01190000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" called by thread 1.

GetProcAddress(0x7C800000 [c], "IsProcessorFeaturePresent") called from "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" at address 0x0119E433 and returned 0x7C80ACB2 by thread 1.

LoadLibraryA("\HOTRES32.DLL") called from "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" at address 0x01193255 by thread 1.

LoadLibraryA("\HOTRES32.DLL") returned NULL by thread 1. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).

LoadLibraryA("\HOTRES32.DLL") called from "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" at address 0x01193255 by thread 1.

LoadLibraryA("\HOTRES32.DLL") returned NULL by thread 1. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).

LoadLibraryA("C:\PROGRA~1\PAPERM~2\HOTRES32.DLL") called from "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" at address 0x01193255 by thread 1.

Loaded "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HOTRES32.DLL" at address 0x011E0000 by thread 1. Successfully hooked module.

DllMain(0x011E0000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HOTRES32.DLL" called by thread 1.

DllMain(0x011E0000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HOTRES32.DLL" returned 1 (0x1) by thread 1.

LoadLibraryA("C:\PROGRA~1\PAPERM~2\HOTRES32.DLL") returned 0x011E0000 by thread 1.

LoadLibraryA("C:\PROGRA~1\PAPERM~2\HOTRES32.DLL") called from "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" at address 0x01193255 by thread 1.

LoadLibraryA("C:\PROGRA~1\PAPERM~2\HOTRES32.DLL") returned 0x011E0000 by thread 1.

GetProcAddress(0x011E0000 [c], "HotResGetInstance") called from "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" at address 0x0119346C and returned 0x011E1015 by thread 1.

LoadLibraryA("JSDVWSDK.DLL") called from "c:\progra~1\paperm~2\HSPFCW32.DLL" at address 0x01194C04 by thread 1.

Loaded "c:\windows\system32\JSDVWSDK.DLL" at address 0x01250000 by thread 1. Successfully hooked module.

your right it is wideclient 3.51.

Don't you mean Wideclient 6.51?

I used a program called dependency walker to look at what was going on. Here is where the problem begins. Once the HSPFCW32.DLL is hooked by dllmain, cpu time goes to 100%. Hmm???

"DllMain" is simply the entry point to a DLL. All DLLs have them. In this case, as possibly shown by your log, it is presumably a hook installed by that Paper-whatsit program.

Your log shows "WINSPOOL.DRV" being loaded. Why do you think that is loaded? There are no print options in WideClient, there's no support whatsoever for spooling. It is something BEFORE this which is being loaded which eventually results in those hooks being installed, along with their supporting DLLs.

As I said, it looks like you need to update the PaperMaster software to the latest version, presumably revised to correctly work with WinXP.

Regards

Pete

I can't seem to type the right name of the client today.

There are a lot of things being loaded that I don't pretend to understand with the paper-masher software. I simply took it off the system and all is find. There is no problem to solve here, only some feedback in case this problem comes up with some one else. I have seen feedback where the the person has installed XP clean and the problem went away. I only want to offer up this information in case someone else encounters it.

I'm fine I have 3 other system with paper-masher on it and don't need it on the XP system.

Steve M.

There is no problem to solve here, only some feedback in case this problem comes up with some one else.

Understood. I just thought you might need to find a solution with PaperMaster installed.

I'm fine I have 3 other system with paper-masher on it and don't need it on the XP system.

Ah, okay then.

Thanks,

Pete