The simFlight Network Forums

1 wideserver / 90 clients???

hello Peter

I had yesterday a huge problem with wideserver

My flightsim was freezed and I saw that wideserver found more then 90 clients and was still counting for more

I have 1 wideserver and 5 wideclients running in my cockpit

and 3 wideview clients for scenery

I was reading the logs in wideserver and wideclient and found some errors

wideserver :

1130750 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7888)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7524)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7568)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=8920)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=8904)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=8872)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7084)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7024)

1130766 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7168)

1130782 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7192)

1131157 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7108)

1131157 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7508)

1131172 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=8888)

WideClient :

1608176 Error on send() of 41 bytes [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2077269 Block sequence error: expected 25894 but received 25897

2541576 Error on send() of 41 bytes [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2748916 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2748929 Ready to try connection again

2748976 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2748986 Attempting to connect now

2749000 Connection made okay!

2767061 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2767074 Ready to try connection again

2767116 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2767125 Attempting to connect now

2767140 Connection made okay!

is it a network problem? is it a software problem I hope you know some answers to this subject

regards john van berkel

I had yesterday a huge problem with wideserver

My flightsim was freezed and I saw that wideserver found more then 90 clients and was still counting for more

Yes, it will do if it is unable to respond to the clients -- please read the documentation where it explains why.

I was reading the logs in wideserver and wideclient and found some errors

wideserver :

1130750 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=7888)

This part of the log is too late -- it is where WideServer is actually reducing the number of open sockets (connections). The problems would have been earlier in the log, showing continuous connections from Clients whilst your FS was frozen.

WideClient :

1608176 Error on send() of 41 bytes [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2077269 Block sequence error: expected 25894 but received 25897

2541576 Error on send() of 41 bytes [Error=10022] Invalid argument

Those sorts of errors shouldn't be occurring, but they are isolated incidents and recoverable. I'd only worry if they became frequent.

2748916 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2748929 Ready to try connection again

2748976 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2748986 Attempting to connect now

2749000 Connection made okay!

2767061 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2767074 Ready to try connection again

2767116 Timed out response: connection assumed lost!

2767125 Attempting to connect now

2767140 Connection made okay!

These problems are where the Clients are not getting anything from the Server. They time out, assume the connection is lost, and try to reconnect. It is that which (temporarily) increases the connection count, as described in the documentation.

is it a network problem? is it a software problem I hope you know some answers to this subject

From the information you have supplied it appears that the CAUSE of the WideServer problem is FS freezing, and the EFFECT is the increasing number of connections from Clients timing out. You need to find out what is the problem with FS -- possibly a scenery, texture or traffic problem?

Please ALWAYS state version numbers for any of my programs when asking for help. I could normally see these in the Logs, but you've made such small extracts I cannot do that here.

Regards,

Pete

hello peter

I did some research on the dokumentation and the network did also some test on other programs I am running with the simulator

and found out that it has indeed to do with time outs on not reponding clients

it was a program called Acars that i use for my VA that is installed into fs as a module it rebuild the position and weather so FS shows a window about reading the weather instaling scenery and so on

that caused the freeze and then wideserver was/is still not able to recover from that and started counting

I made some changes in the wideclients.ini files like servernode ,using ipx and not tcpip on my older computers (i use windows XP and 98 se on older computers)

it looks that I have some improvement

I will test some more here before I will let you know my results

regards john

I made some changes in the wideclients.ini files like servernode ,using ipx and not tcpip on my older computers (i use windows XP and 98 se on older computers) it looks that I have some improvement

Okay. There is likely to be more problems with mixed systems like that. I would nowadays advise everyone to update to WinXP if possible, since SP1 it has been far better with Networks than the Win98 family ever was. I wouldn't have said that when XP first came out -- I thought it was dreadful. But it got fixed.

I am actually working on a new version of WideFS which also supports UDP. The three protocols it will then support are TCP (the IP protocol TCP/IP uses), SPX (the sequential part of IPX/SPX that I use), and UDP, which is another IP (Internet Protocol) installed with TCP/IP.

The advantage of UDP is that it has much less red tape and is fast. However, its disadvantage is that the main reason it is fast is that there are no checks. It is "connection-less", meaning it sends the stuff out but doesn't know nor care if it arrives. Similarly, it doesn't care if it all arrives out of order.

In a local network properly wired and working one would think that the excessive checking of TCP and SPX isn't needed, which is why I'm adding this new option. For instrumentation only it probably isn't important if the odd message goes astray, there'll be another in a short time. For control of AI aircraft (AISmooth, etc), Weather, and cockpit switches and so on, maybe it is more important to make sure everything is correct.

However, WideFS itself does impose checks -- sequence numbers and sumchecks, so if it does go wrong at least you will be able to find out.

On a fully XP network I am making it possible for the Server to specifiy the preferred protocol, which will be used by every client which hasn't a specific protocol assigned. This way it should be easy to run tests, comparing performance with it all TCP, then all SPX, then all UDP. However, this needs XP as it uses features not available in older systems.

Regards,

Pete