The simFlight Network Forums

Preferred settings for FSMetar?

Hi Peter

I registered my copy of FSUIPC for the same reason alot of people appear to... because it will assist in smoothing out weather transitions using external weather applications - in my case FSMetar.

From other posts I've read here, I appreciate that you are not familiar with how FSMetar itself functions, however am I right in saying that FSUIPC should pretty much work with external weather apps generally in it's default configuration? Or, are there some basic settings I should be switching on/configuring in order to get optimal performance out of something like FSMetar.

I'm a little confused as to whether alot of the functions in FSUIPC were designed for FS2002 or whether they still need setting in FS2004 as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Vox™

... am I right in saying that FSUIPC should pretty much work with external weather apps generally in it's default configuration?

Some weather programs (FSMeteo and ActiveSky come to mind) actually control the FSUIPC settings themselves, to save you doing it in FSUIPC. Assuming FSMetar doesn't do this, really it is up to you to select what you prefer. Certain wind smoothing and graduated visibility are among the facilities you should check, but others, such as the surface limits on visibility and the optional addition of an occasional upper cirrus layer, are purely user preferences. Just experiment.

I'm a little confused as to whether alot of the functions in FSUIPC were designed for FS2002 or whether they still need setting in FS2004 as well.

I do discuss that, where it matters, in the documentation, and you will also see that the weather options are actually different between the two in any case, so what you see is what is applicable.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Peter for the speedy reply.

I'm reading through the documentation at the moment and I see where you have made specific FS2002/2004 references, so I'll act upon these as necessary. As there seems to be little support for FS Metar and it's usage with FSUIPC from the original developer, I'll assume what you say in that it probably doesn't control any parameters automatically.

In that case, I will experiment! :lol:

Thanks again,

Vox™