The simFlight Network Forums

WIDEFS

I purchased WIDEFS today, it's up and running, I have a grey window on the 2nd PC and the title bar shows Connected. So it looks as if it's ready for business.

I'm trying to get the FSNavigator World Map to show up on the 2nd PC monitor; but I've not been able to so far. There is no .bmp file within FSNav. I have tried making an entry in the WideClient .ini file, but that doesn't work. The Logs indicate that all is well; no errors etc. I know the fault lies with me and not WIDEFS. Guess I'm too thick to read the intructions properly :)

Can you tell me if I should be able to make the FSNav. World Map show up?

Ken

I purchased WIDEFS today, it's up and running, I have a grey window on the 2nd PC and the title bar shows Connected. So it looks as if it's ready for business.

[\quote]

Unless you have something to show in that window you either want to narrow it so only the title bar is showing, or minimise it to the task bar. There are options to do things with the window by default too.

I'm trying to get the FSNavigator World Map to show up on the 2nd PC monitor

WideFS is an extension of the FSUIPC interface, for external FS applications (i.e. those you can run OUTSIDE of FS). It says this clearly in the documentation.

FSNavigator is exactly the opposite. It is not an FSUIPC application -- it does not use or need FSUIPC. So even if it was an external application it wouldn't run on WideFS which is an FSUIPC interface.

However, FSNavigator is not even a separate application, it is installed into and runs as part of FS itself. How do you propose to even get FSNavigator, the program, moved over to your other PC? There's no separate program as such to move!

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete, many thanks for your very quick reply.

You could have given me 1 mark out of 10 for trying to do the impossible :) I was most certainly not complaing about the program. Thousands of flight simmers and myself greatly appreciate all the help you give us.

Would you give me some idea of the sort of application you designed WIDEFS to do. I placed a .bmp file into the 2nd PC's WideClient Folder as per instructions, as a test only, and it worked fine.

Best regards,

Ken

Would you give me some idea of the sort of application you designed WIDEFS to do.

Pretty much all of the applications (other than aircraft installed INTO FS) which need FSUIPC to talk to FS -- check http://www.schiratti.com/dowson, there's a list of a lot (but by no means all) on the right-hand side. Myself, I use Radar Contact, ActiveSky or FSMeteo, FS RealTime, FS Flight Keeper, several Project Magenta modules, my own TrafficLook and WeatherSet2, etc etc.

Surely you would decide what YOU want to do first, then configure things accordingly, not buy something then think of a use for it?

I placed a .bmp file into the 2nd PC's WideClient Folder as per instructions, as a test only, and it worked fine.

That really was only ever useful in FS98 days, for Chris Brett's EFIS98 program, which had a set of gauge-type displays docked to FS's window. The bitmap was a way of providing it with a cockpit sort-of background.

These days probably all separate FSUIPC applications don't dock to the FS window at all, so you don't really need or use the WideClient window -- though it does get used if you want its button capabilities mousable -- those are really designed for a touch-sensitive screen though. I use one in my cockpit.

Otherwise you are better off minimising or even hiding the WideClient window, as it gives more screen space for real applications.

Regards,

Pete