The simFlight Network Forums

wide fs and wideview and project magenta

i need help !

i am in the process to install project magenta on my network:

computer 1: server amd athlon 64 4000+ 2.2ghz running msfs, fsiupc, widefs server + wideview 1 external view

computer 2: client no.1 amd athlon x2 dual core running wideview (2 external views), wide fs client, project magenta mcp and cdu (mcp hardware +efis form cp flight).

computer 3: intel celeron 2.53ghz running wide fs, project magenta glass cockpit.

computer 4: laptop pentium II running quickmap

problem: on the computer 2(client no1), once wideview is started (in opening msfs) the mcp connect to msfs slave and then not connct with msfs on the server. if i open widefs first, then open mcp, the they are connected to the server but then 1 am unable to open msfs on the client (to run wideview).

any suggestion ?

thank you very much !

i

computer 1: server amd athlon 64 4000+ 2.2ghz running msfs, fsiupc, widefs server + wideview 1 external view

WideView's server presumably runs here? The external view will be the main FS view, not one produced by the Wideview link.

computer 2: client no.1 amd athlon x2 dual core running wideview (2 external views), wide fs client, project magenta mcp and cdu (mcp hardware +efis form cp flight).

It is not possible for WidevieW to run without FS being installed on the same PC, and if FS is installed here you cannot use it for WideFS clients. You need to re-think.

Doesn't WidevieW come with any documentation? You should certainly have a look at the WideFS documentation.

problem: on the computer 2(client no1), once wideview is started (in opening msfs)

You don't list FS as being on #2, but it must be for WidevieW, and cannot be for WideClient.

any suggestion ?

Yes, of course. Run WideClient ONLY on PCs not running FS, as it says in the documentation.

Regards,

Pete

thank you veru much for yor quick and clear answer, but

it is possible to run MSFS (link with tcp/icp) as decribed in the in following text from fs cockpit, and run wide fs. or each time MSFS is opened, widefs won't work ? re: not using wideview at all.

text from fs cockpit

On different PCs

It is also possible to view Microsoft Flight Simulator on different PCs. In general these PCs are connected via a TCP/IP connection. On all PCs Microsoft Flight Simulator is active. Using specific software one PC is used as a the server to 'fly' (including display) and the other PCs (1 or more) are used as additional display. The client PCs can be configured as 'virtual windows', to show maps, additional instruments, a GPS, a custom panel, etc.

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Netpipes SDK includes a program called Netpipes (Microsoft). It links two computers over a TCP/IP connection, both of them running FlightSim to display the same flight from different points of view. The source code is provided if you want to understand the inner working of the tool. One can use any keys and joystick buttons on both computers to point the camera to different places, but only the user on the server can actually fly the aircraft. The user at the client side, can only watch

thank you very much

jean-louis.

note: since my client is relatively powerful, it is not a problem to run more than 1 external view (with a matrox parhelia, i have been able to run 3 external views with good frame rates using wideview). i just try to fin a way to optimize this computer to run more than 1 application

it is possible to run MSFS (link with tcp/icp) as decribed in the in following text from fs cockpit, and run wide fs. or each time MSFS is opened, widefs won't work ?

I thought I was clear? WideFS links one PC running FS (the "Server") with any number of other PCs not running FS (the "Clients"). That is its function. WidevieW is not the same at all -- it links one PC running FS with others running FS too. WideClient effectively REPLACES FS+FSUIPC on the Clients to support FSUIPC applications. WidevieW runs WITH FS and FSUIPC on each machine, Server and all Clients. You can mix both on one Network with a common Server, but not on one Client.

All the ways of linking multiple FS installations include WidevieW and Multiplayer, and probably others, and of course you can have different views and so on visible on each one. But none of that is anything to do with what WideFS does, and it isn't an area I am at all involved in. You may want to talk to someone in the WidevieW area instead?

note: since my client is relatively powerful, it is not a problem to run more than 1 external view (with a matrox parhelia, i have been able to run 3 external views with good frame rates using wideview).

Sorry, but that sounds rather confused. I too have a Matrox Parhelia, and, yes, it runs three screens showing one very wide outside view very well. But that is all one one PC running FS. WidevieW doesn't really come into it at all.

i just try to fin a way to optimize this computer to run more than 1 application

I have one setup with two fast computers, both with Matrox Parhelias, both with three screens. The one running FS shows a widescreen outside view across the three screens, no panel. The other PC shows all the glass cockpit instrumentation from Project Magenta -- pilots PFD/ND, EICAS+Standby instruments, and Copilot PFD/ND. I also use a lesser PC to run the PM CDU. These are linked by WideFS. I don't use WidevieW.

If you want to link multiple FS's I really suggest you try the WidevieW support site and get advice there. There's also a system called "FsXPand" (sorry, I've lost the link -- search on Google) which may be more what you are after.

Regards,

Pete