The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick sequence

I use actually three different joystick devices.

The first two are identical and are microprocessor based MJOY USB circuits designed by Mindaugas Milasauskas.

Each of them may be programed with different Name ,Vendor and Product ID number.

The first being : Name=MJ16 , VendorID= Hex00 , ProductID= Hex02

The second being : Name=MJ62 , VendorID= Hex00 , ProductID= Hex03

The thirth one is a regular simple Thrustmaster.

All three devices are fully functional and do appear in the GAME

CONTROLLERS LIST of Windows XP in following order MJ16, MJ62, USB HID (top down).

Now we go to the buttons page of the FSUIPC MODULE. Pushing any button of any one joystick is identified by FSUIPC

and its number displayed , ALL TOGETHER WITH THE JOYSTICK NUMBER were the button is located.

There are no problems with the button numbers.

But it appears that , (apart from the fact that you start numbering from zero instead of 1),

the identified joystick numbers do NOT CORRESPOND WITH the list sequence in the "game devices list" of Windows.

So , MJ62 (2nd) is identified as joystick #0 , MJ16 (1st) as #1 and the thrustmaster (3rd) as #2.

If however I unplug the MJ62 (2nd) from the hub and leave the first MJ16 and the thrustmaster (3rd),

they will be recognised in the buttons page of FSUIPC as # 1 and # 0 respectively. !!!!! ??????

What is going on ? How can I correct this?

PaulusP

But it appears that , (apart from the fact that you start numbering from zero instead of 1), the identified joystick numbers do NOT CORRESPOND WITH the list sequence in the "game devices list" of Windows.

So , MJ62 (2nd) is identified as joystick #0 , MJ16 (1st) as #1 and the thrustmaster (3rd) as #2.

If however I unplug the MJ62 (2nd) from the hub and leave the first MJ16 and the thrustmaster (3rd),

they will be recognised in the buttons page of FSUIPC as # 1 and # 0 respectively.

What is going on ? How can I correct this?

What version of Windows is this with? I know that in Win98 the USB devices got assigned different device numbers each time you booted, if the configuration had changed. I thought that was solved in WinXP -- though it may have not been dealt with till SP1.

The numbers I use are the IDs required by the joystick interface I am using. This is the "joyGetPosEx" API which has been supported continuously in Windows for many years. I do not use the DirectInput interface as used by FS since version FS2002, for several reasons -- mainly because it is far too complicated and involves me learning a whole new type of programming, but also because it is at a much more abstract level than the basic API I use, and I have never liked to get very far from the hardware.

If you want to play with the older API, please try the attached program, which was produced by Thrustmaster to check their own devices via the same interface. It is general purpose though. It gives you complete access to the "raw" data which I use.

Regards,

Pete

joyview.zip