The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC advantages

Hi,

I was thinking (look out) about some specific things I would like to accomplish in my flight sim and was wondering if FSUIPC could help me with these.

In no particular order they are;

1.)Assign beacon and taxi lights to a button

2.)Smooth out braking when using CH rudder pedals (once fixed)

3.)Have separate left and right thrust reversers on my CH TQ (using indents)

4.)Use a throttle axis for my gear down button (throttle on yoke is un- used)

I am sure there are more but if at least these could be accomplished with the program, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Thanks,

LouP

... was wondering if FSUIPC could help me with these.

Well, I'm not a salesman and don't want to be, but let's see:

Yes, but can't you do this in FS already?

Not sure what you mean there. Are there analogue brake pedals on those (i.e. are they the USB variety, not the game port ones)? What exactly is wrong?

There is a little confusion there. FSUIPC supports separate reverser levers (axes), up to four of them. But you talk about indents, so are you talking about a reverse zone on your throttle levers, not about separate reversers? FSUIPC can help with either, but they are different subjects.

With the interim release available above, yes, FSUIPC can do that -- in fact it is an example in the downloadable documentation above too.

Why not download the full FSUIPC.ZIP from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson and browse thedocumentation, then look at the extras in the Interim release above, along with the extra documentation there. Then make up your mind.

Regards,

Pete

Sorry Pete,

I wrote that under the gun while at work, I'll try and be more clear

... was wondering if FSUIPC could help me with these.

Well, I'm not a salesman and don't want to be, but let's see:

Yes, but can't you do this in FS already?

Sorry, I don't see that, I only see where the strobes and landing lights can be assigned. But I'll take this as a yes for FSUIPC.

Not sure what you mean there. Are there analogue brake pedals on those (i.e. are they the USB variety, not the game port ones)? What exactly is wrong?

I have USB pedals but when I brake the aircraft seems to want to jerk left or right as if the pedals are not being applied properly. I never had this problem flying in real life and think that it is caused by "spkes" from my pedals.

There is a little confusion there. FSUIPC supports separate reverser levers (axes), up to four of them. But you talk about indents, so are you talking about a reverse zone on your throttle levers, not about separate reversers? FSUIPC can help with either, but they are different subjects.

Right now I only have the indent on lever number 1 assigned to both of the thrust reversers. I do not see where I can assign a left and right side. And it would be nice if it were more "analog" vs. just the indent.

With the interim release available above, yes, FSUIPC can do that -- in fact it is an example in the downloadable documentation above too.

Awesome!

Why not download the full FSUIPC.ZIP from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson and browse thedocumentation, then look at the extras in the Interim release above, along with the extra documentation there. Then make up your mind.

I didn't know I could do that, thanks.

Regards,

Pete

Regards,

LouP

Sorry, I don't see that, I only see where the strobes and landing lights can be assigned. But I'll take this as a yes for FSUIPC.

Well, if you scan through my list of FS2004 controls (availble on the download site or within the FSUIPC Zip) you'll certainly find enough FS controls for buttons. I would have thought they'd all be listed someplace in the FS assignments dropdowns? These are they:

ALL_LIGHTS_TOGGLE

LANDING_LIGHTS_OFF

LANDING_LIGHTS_ON

LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE

PANEL_LIGHTS_OFF

PANEL_LIGHTS_ON

PANEL_LIGHTS_TOGGLE

TOGGLE_BEACON_LIGHTS

TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS

TOGGLE_LOGO_LIGHTS

TOGGLE_NAV_LIGHTS

TOGGLE_RECOGNITION_LIGHTS

TOGGLE_TAXI_LIGHTS

TOGGLE_WING_LIGHTS

All FS controls can be assigned in FSUIPC, and there are a lot of additional controls too. The "TOGGLE" controls above aren't so suited to toggle switches -- you need separate ON/OFF controls for those, but that can be done using FSUIPC "Offset" controls to manipulate bits in a set of light switches in the FSUIPC interface. That's a little more complicated, and needs a document from the FSUIPC SDK for reference, but it can all be done pretty easily from the in-FS options dialogues.

I have USB pedals but when I brake the aircraft seems to want to jerk left or right as if the pedals are not being applied properly. I never had this problem flying in real life and think that it is caused by "spkes" from my pedals.

Well, I've not heard of spikes like that, but it is quite normal for two potentiometers to be less than absolutely identical. Obviously more accurate calibration may help with that, but normally some amount of sensitive adjustment with the feet is needed to compensate. And your personal foot pressure may be the same in both left and right, but not many folks could swear to that, so it is by visual feedback surely that you operate? I would have thought that to be the case in a real aircraft too (when I was learning in a real Cessna I could never keep a perfectly straight line under braking!).

FSUIPC will help with more accurate calibration, but I don't think it will answer a subtle difference in pressure. If you never want to use the brakes separately then the latest interim FSUIPC will allow you to make them both operate left and right simultaneously.

Right now I only have the indent on lever number 1 assigned to both of the thrust reversers. I do not see where I can assign a left and right side. And it would be nice if it were more "analog" vs. just the indent.

Ah, you mean you are using something in CH's driver to operate FS's "F2" (throttle dec) control?

Certainly there are many folks using part of the throttle lever range to control reverse thrust proportionally. FSUIPC has always provided facilities for that. There are also facilities for up to 4 separate reverser levers, but obviously you need the extra levers for those -- they are for cockpit builders with proper quadrants.

Regards

Pete