The simFlight Network Forums

Pete, Got Spoilers fixed, but have Rev prob still

Your the man, Pete. I got the spoilers to be just fine. Nice armed spot now using that 2nd idle set button.

So I went to the throttles and tried what you had said for the spoilers in that, if you remember, I could not shut down Rev and had to push the throttles a tad forward to shut down Rev.

Well I tried what I could think of when setting thru your joystick, and I cant get them to shut down on their own. Remember I am using a microswitch for Rev. Of note, I could set the throttles fine using your 4 set buttons, and I could get the throttles to be in idle just foward of where they actually rest closed, and if I pull them back, they would Rev and I push the throttles back to "idle", they close Rev. and of course if I push them forward all the way, I get foward thrust. I assume this is whats done if one does not have a Rev lever.

Any ideas?

Randy

Please, after starting a thread on a subject, could you please keep subsequent exchanges relevant to that thread in the same one, not keep starting new threads? It makes intelligent conversation quite difficult and rather nullifies the whole point of this neat Forum structure!

Of note, I could set the throttles fine using your 4 set buttons, and I could get the throttles to be in idle just foward of where they actually rest closed, and if I pull them back, they would Rev and I push the throttles back to "idle", they close Rev. and of course if I push them forward all the way, I get foward thrust. I assume this is whats done if one does not have a Rev lever.

That sounds fine. Isn't that what you want to happen?

Any ideas?

About what?

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

No thats not what I want to happen, because I have a real cockpit with real Rev levers. So, I have to close them all the way back to "idle" and then the locking mech comes open so I can raise the Rev. levers. Thus I dont want Rev to go on when I bring throttles back to zero or idle. I just mentioned that I was able to set it that way, as though I had a cheapy CH type yoke or whatever and no Rev levers.

So with that said, how can I make it so a button function to activate Rev thrust will shut down Rev thrust upon lowering the Rev thurst levers and I dont have to then move the throttles forward a hair to cease Rev thrust?

Randy

I have a real cockpit with real Rev levers.

So, are you calibrating the reverse thrust though FSUIPC's reversers?

If you don't need to use FSUIPC's reverse zone facilities, you can simply press "reset" on the FSUIPC calibrations, so FSUIPC doesn't touch them, and simply use FS's throttle assignments -- there is no reverse section on the default throttles at all! The whole advantage of the FSUIPC system was to provide a reverse zone on throttle levers. If you have enough levers to assign separate reversers then why the bother in the first place? Something is making no sense at all here! :-(

I must admit to be totally confused with what you say about buttons operating your reverse -- perhaps you'd like to clarify that?

So with that said, how can I make it so a button function to activate Rev thrust will shut down Rev thrust upon lowering the Rev thurst levers and I dont have to then move the throttles forward a hair to cease Rev thrust?

There you go again. What is this "button function"? Why not forget the button? How are you calibrating the reverser levers? Surely all you want is for your throttle levers to behave like normal FS throttle levers, which only have idle to forward thrust on in any case!

Pete

Hi,

Here is again what I have:

A real quad with 2 throttles, Eng. #1 and #2 and Rev levers on each of those throttles. The throttles must be closed or in idle in order to raise the Rev. levers at all.

The throttles work fine. I have closed or idle all the way back. Then if I move them forward, I get forward thrust.

Its the Rev function that works from a microswitch inside the quad ( I guess the real plane did not have any Rev. power range) however, those

Rev function cant move any raw data in your joysticks, like pots do. Of course we are talking button or switch function here.

The Rev function I have set with Goflight's Rev. lever function and have delete those Rev function in FS button/joystick assign area (where I did have them set to F2). I have also done the opposite and deleted Goflight's functions and assigned only in FS the F2. Both ways will generate Rev thrust function.

So now, Rev will not shut down upon me lowering the Rev levers, unless I move the throttles just a tad forward.

I read your post about #6 for setting them up, given the above, just what actual step by step should I do.

Unlike the others, I need my throttles to physically be at idle (all the way back) to raise the Rev levers. I would assume that the Rev function is dependent on where the throttles are. In my case they have to be physically at idle. How would I set a dead zone right at idle and still have Rev zone there also.

I hope this explains things better.

Randy

The throttles work fine. I have closed or idle all the way back. Then if I move them forward, I get forward thrust.

Okay.

Its the Rev function that works from a microswitch inside the quad

So these "reverse levers" are not really reverser levers. They simply press a button? You have no control of the amount of reverse?

The Rev function I have set with Goflight's Rev. lever function

It isn't that GoFlight quadrant is it? I had one for a while, but removed the non-lever reverser levers and programmed a reverse range on the throttles instead.

So now, Rev will not shut down upon me lowering the Rev levers, unless I move the throttles just a tad forward.

By "lowering" the reverse levers, you presumably mean pushing them forward, away from the microswitch?

Surely, all that is happening is that, whilst the reverser lever is against the switch, it is pushing it on and presumably generating a repeating F2 to decrement the throttle. When you push the levers away from the switch, that stops happening, that's all.

Then, your throttles, in FS, are left where that sequence of F2 pushes left them. Without any other input, FS won't know that you want the throttles to go to idle! You need something else to tell it -- another button, or an axis change.

Axis changes send messages to FS, but if you don't move an axis it isn't sending anything.

So you either need to move the throttles a tad, as you say, or program another button event to set the throttles back to idle.

Possibly you can program the microswitch to send a "Throttle Cut" control when it is released? In FSUIPC Buttons this would mean programming it to do "Throttle Decr" (with repeat enabled) on "press" and "Throttle Cut" on release.

Isn't it as simple as that?

Where does GoFlight come into this, by the way? If it is a GoFlight device you should contact them for support. If it isn't, why are you using their drivers?

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

Yes you have it right on now. When raising the Rev levers, below they hit a micro switch that clicks. Does it stay in on or on/off, I dont know.

That must be it that the throttles dont know to go back to idle?

I will try to see if I can fig just what to do to assign them like you say.

Will your program allow to program a switch to do one thing on opening lets say, and then do anything upon closing?

Whats strange is that just over a year ago with the same setups, the Rev were working fine. Maybe new builds and things altered them.

I am just using Goflight's I/O quad axis board. Thats all. So I get to see their setup windows and stuff.

I dont think Goflight is the company it once was. There is no help from them and their software man, Doyle is nowhere to be found. They dont update their software much either. Seems now a days I cant program any of their functions without something strange happening with their units (boards). I mount their boards with just guts only behind real lightplates and mods.

Randy

Yes you have it right on now. When raising the Rev levers, below they hit a micro switch that clicks. Does it stay in on or on/off, I dont know.

In FSUIPC's Logging options you will find checkboxes to log Button actions, and Events (two separate checkboxes). Enable both of those then look in the FSUIPC.LOG file to see what is going on.

If they only go "on2 once, and aren't held on for repeated "Throttle dec" controls to FS, then I don't know how you are getting full reverse thrust -- there's no FS Control to sent full reverse in one operation.

That must be it that the throttles dont know to go back to idle?

Pleay with the F1-F4 keys on your keyboard. notice how they make the throttle change when you press them, but do nothing when you don't. It is the same with buttons. Nothing happens if you don't make it happen.

Will your program allow to program a switch to do one thing on opening lets say, and then do anything upon closing?

Of course. Haven't you even looked? I call it "press" and "release" though, not "closing" and "opening".

Whats strange is that just over a year ago with the same setups, the Rev were working fine. Maybe new builds and things altered them.

New builds and "things" of what? Nothing of this is different in FSUIPC -- there are lots of new facilities, but you aren't using any of them.

I am just using Goflight's I/O quad axis board.

Why not wire up proper reverer levers then? Mixing buttons and levers doesn't seem to be good when they all address the one axis control in FS.

Regards,

Pete

Hey, if you want to come on down to Los Angeles, then I will help you climb under the sim and we can see how we could install pots for the Rev levers thu all the grease, dirt, wires and metal. Till then I cant even think of doing anything else. 6 years of working on these sims has wore me out. :o( ONce you here, we can meet up with Matt Ford and get sushi.

On your docs, I read them but there still a hair technical for this old man.

Let me see if I can do a few of what you suggested and get back to you.

Thanks

Hey, if you want to come on down to Los Angeles, then I will help you climb under the sim and we can see how we could install pots for the Rev levers thu all the grease, dirt, wires and metal.

This is one reason it is usually better to put the reversing zone on the main throttle lever, possibly with a notch or interlocking bar, ideally operated by your reversing levers.

You should be able to do it with your button though, but you will certainly have to find out what the button actually does so you can program it correctly. seems like it has been a guessing game so far. FSUIPC does supply enough tools for you to work it out, as I've described.

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

I see what your saying, in that, make the throttles I have now be in an idle position just short of their current idle position, and then make it so I might hit some lever or button that allows me to then just pull them back to Rev on. I think the Airbus operate that way.

Of course I will try the buttons in your program and see if I can fix it. At least I have the real Rev. function raising the Rev levers, and if I have to still push the throttles a tad forward, so be it. No big thing. All in one movment.

Thanks

Hi,

How do you keep track of who replys and such. You must really watch this site's posts with an eagles eye.

Anyway, I looked at the button section and saw the part where it says assign this button to do this when pressed and do this when released, etc.

I will tell you I had no idea where to even begin on making the Rev mircoswitch do one thing and then another. I tried to assign the button first off on the right, to PM and FS and give it a function name, but then when I went to the left and clicked them, it would erase what I had done on the rightside of the window.

Pretend I am dumb (I am) and could you give me a little step by step to start with. I have read the doc on this part, well see I still have to write you. Its just beyond me without a little guidance.

Thanks

RANDY

I will tell you I had no idea where to even begin on making the Rev mircoswitch do one thing and then another. I tried to assign the button first off on the right, to PM and FS and give it a function name, but then when I went to the left and clicked them, it would erase what I had done on the rightside of the window.

Sorry, you've lost me. Tell me want you want to do and how you are trying to do it.

If you are trying, you cannot mix control and keypress assignments. Just stick to one or the other!

For FS operations there is no advantage using keypresses -- they go through FS's key assignments and operate controls in any case, so it is obviously more efficient (and reliable) to use FS controls.

The keypress facilities are useful for add-ons which don't have "FS controls", but almost everything in FS does!

I have read the doc on this part, well see I still have to write you. Its just beyond me without a little guidance.

It should be obvious and intuitive, as thousands have used the facilities in the past. I cannot explain any better than I have, else I would have. What is it you don't understand? I don't see any point in reproducing the documentation here. What is so complicated? Surely if you are intelligent enough to fly you can do something so simply as assign an FS control from a dropdown list?

:-(

Pete

If I had you come and run my medical transcription business without any guidance or teachings, even though I wrote everything down in a DOC for you,, you still would have a very hard time doing so. Trust me. Same with this sim/computer/programming. I only started really learning PCs a few years ago. I had thought that a "Glass Cockpit" was some kinda of clear, see thru cockpit to sit in!

What I need to know is just what to and how to assign my Rev levers so the microswitchs on each (remember no pots) starts Rev on "press" and then shuts them off on "release." I think thats what you had mention to try.

Randy

What I need to know is just what to and how to assign my Rev levers so the microswitchs on each (remember no pots) starts Rev on "press" and then shuts them off on "release." I think thats what you had mention to try.

Oh dear.

Run FS. Do ALT M F to see FSUIPC options. Selct Buttons. Make your microswitch operate. When FSUIPC sees it, select assign to FS control. For button press find and assign "Throttle Dec" and check Repeat. For Release find "Throttle Cut". Press OK.

Surely all that is just basically what I said before, combined with a little common sense looking at what is in front of you? I don't understand what you don't understand! If you don't say, and can't be more specific in your questions, how on Earth can I help more, or even ever improve the documentation -- which incidentally has stood the test of many users over the last five years or more! I'm sure all the previously successful users weren't really more intelligent than you despite what you imply.

Pete

Hi,

Well I am glad at least someone in the sim world thinks that I might be as smart as the other sim "masters."

By the way, you were right on that flap extending time in aircraft conf. I was able to make them move slower.

I will again try what you wrote me about the Rev. and report back, assuming I have not hung myself in fustration.

Randy

Hi,

Well, I did what you said to do, and still no luck. It did take the programming fine, with the press and release. I used Thrott 1 Dec and Thrott 1 cut. There are a few other things I have to check, so I will keep you posted.

Randy