The simFlight Network Forums

Pete, Help, Help --WideFS gone crazy

Hi Pete,

I went to fly and now my 2 clients dont work. I did nothing. The PFD is frozen on some other flight I might of been doing. WideFS says waiting for connection. Its nuts. Below is the log. Not showing on this log, it had said something like No route host or something like that. What can you tell from this log. Where do I check elsewhere to see whats up.

Randy

********* WideClient Log [version 6.51] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 12/04/06, Time 22:03:23.530: Client name is PFD

370 C:\FS2002 ITEMS\PFD

370 C:\FS2002 ITEMS\PFD\pfd.exe

413 Attempting to connect now

8111 New Client Application: "PFD" (Id=-211909)

21400 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

21471 Ready to try connection again

21480 Attempting to connect now

167985 ****** End of session performance summary ******

167985 Total time connected = 0 seconds

167985 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

167985 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

167985 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

167985 **************** Individual client application activity ****************

167985 Client -211909 requests: 318 (Ave 318/sec), Data: 573493 bytes (573493/sec), Average 1803 bytes/Process

167985 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 302 Freed 302 Refused 0) *********

The only thing I did before turning on the sim, was that I disconnected the cat 5 internet cable from the networking box. I did that because I did not want the sim on line, if I did not need to be on line while flying. Anyway, could that of made it so the clients got a new IP address somehow when booting? Again this is the only thing diff. I did before the WideFS problem.

The IP server address somehow changed the very last number. I checked the server address and when I fixed the client WideFS ones, it all worked. Will pulling the internet cable cause this IP addresss change in the clients?

Please see my post on the spoiler problem. I have news.

The IP server address somehow changed the very last number. I checked the server address and when I fixed the client WideFS ones, it all worked. Will pulling the internet cable cause this IP addresss change in the clients?

Unless you choose fixed IP addresses (which is advisable in any case in my opinion) then Windows or your router (whichever is the address manager) will assign new IP addresses as it wants at any time it wants.

Why are you specifying IP addresses in the Client INIs in any case? If all your systems are running WinXP then you shouldn't need to specify any server details in any Client -- WideFS 6.51 finds the Server automatically.

In any case, rather than use IP addresses always use the Server name, as then WideClient asks Windows to translate the name into an IP address when it is run. That takes care of dynamically assigned addresses, as you have operating.

Please check all the hints on setting up your Network for Project Magenta on the PM website.

Regards,

Pete

I use XP for the main FS PC, but have clients on ME.

Does that matter? Can I still assign client names?

Thanks

Yes. it is always better to use the names. It takes Wideclient a fraction of a second longer to connect, as it has to ask Windows to translate the name, but I don't think you'll notice! ;-)

Pete