The simFlight Network Forums

brakes and rotary

Hello Peter,

sorry but I am not very good in programming and edit files, I tried to read all the posts concerning this matter but I found them so complicated. I hope you can help me with simple instructions.

I am using a Saitek X-52 Joystick and I woul like to conigurate one of the two rotary knob on the throttle stick to use it as analogue differential brake for FS 2004. It seems a waste of axis use both the knobs to control the left-right brakes.

I downloaded the 3.558 FSUPIC module but I cannot find a satisful solution for what I have in mind.

I wuold like to increase the pressure of the left brakes while turning the knob on the left (and of course decrease it when coming back to the center positon of the rotary)assign a little dead zone in the center area and then the opposite for the right break.

Do you think is possible?

Thanks indeed for your help.

Ste

I am using a Saitek X-52 Joystick and I woul like to conigurate one of the two rotary knob on the throttle stick to use it as analogue differential brake for FS 2004. It seems a waste of axis use both the knobs to control the left-right brakes.

This "rotary" is an axis? The term "rotary" is normally used for a rotary switch or encoder, which looks like one or more buttons to Windows.

I wuold like to increase the pressure of the left brakes while turning the knob on the left (and of course decrease it when coming back to the center positon of the rotary)assign a little dead zone in the center area and then the opposite for the right break.

You mean, control two separate axis inputs in FS with one actual hardware axis? Hmm.

Not with FSUIPC alone, nor with FS alone. You might be able to do it by assigning it as the Left Brake in FS, and the Right brake in FSUIPC, and reversing it in one of them. The tricky part would then come in calibrating it with enough of a null zone to stop both or one being on all the time to some extent.

You'd need to experiment. Certainly in FSUIPC you could set it so that it doesn't have any effect below half-way or better, but I'm not sure whether the FS null zone will allow you to go that far. Try it.

Regards

Pete

This "rotary" is an axis? The term "rotary" is normally used for a rotary switch or encoder, which looks like one or more buttons to Windows.

Yes, I can configurate it as an axis

You mean, control two separate axis inputs in FS with one actual hardware axis? Hmm.

Yes, I mean that.

Not with FSUIPC alone, nor with FS alone. You might be able to do it by assigning it as the Left Brake in FS, and the Right brake in FSUIPC, and reversing it in one of them. The tricky part would then come in calibrating it with enough of a null zone to stop both or one being on all the time to some extent.

You'd need to experiment. Certainly in FSUIPC you could set it so that it doesn't have any effect below half-way or better, but I'm not sure whether the FS null zone will allow you to go that far. Try it.

I tried many times but without results.

Moving the null zone in the FS does not any effect on the rotary.... Have I to try to manage it from the joystick programming software or can I avoid to work on that to solve the trick?

When I turn the rotary to the left the same brake is engaged and the opposite to the right, the problem is the follow: in the middle area of the rotation I would like to get no breaking effect on the plane, instead I have the summary of light breaking force from the right and the left brakes together. I cannot configure the axis of every single breake to stop it before the knob rotates to the middle position....

Regards

Moving the null zone in the FS does not any effect on the rotary.

No effect? Surely that cannot be? With maximum null zone in FS you normally loase the use of quite a bit of the axis movement. Maybe just not enough to reach halfway, though, which you may need?

... Have I to try to manage it from the joystick programming software or can I avoid to work on that to solve the trick?

No idea, sorry. What "joystick programming software" do you mean?

When I turn the rotary to the left the same brake is engaged and the opposite to the right, the problem is the follow: in the middle area of the rotation I would like to get no breaking effect on the plane, instead I have the summary of light breaking force from the right and the left brakes together

Yes, that arises through not having a large enough null zone for either.

But, having got that far, I think you could now go to FSUIPC's calibration, calibrate left brakes with the "MIN" point set with the dial more than half way left, then the Right brakes with the "MIN" point set with the dial more than half way right, giving you a null zone in the middle. Experiment. Now you've nearly got there I'm sure it will be possible.

Regards,

Pete

Damn! I cannot find out the way to do that. Probably it's too complicate for myself.

I have just decided to give the left brake to one of the two axis of the rotary and the other one to the second available on my joystick.

But now I have discovered another problem.... FSUIPC 3.60 cannot read the movement of the rotary. I mean, it does for every button and slide and axis of the joystick but not with this one. And I know it's work because I tried to assign the trim axis control of FS9 to test it and it is ok.

But why FSUIPC cannot read it nor in joystick calib or axis assign?

• 2 weeks later...

FSUIPC 3.60 cannot read the movement of the rotary. I mean, it does for every button and slide and axis of the joystick but not with this one. And I know it's work because I tried to assign the trim axis control of FS9 to test it and it is ok. But why FSUIPC cannot read it nor in joystick calib or axis assign?

No idea, but FSUIPC casn only deal with axes which are dealt with using the original windows joystick interface - XYZRUV. There are only six. FS now uses DirectInput and I believe that can support more.

Regards,

Pete