The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS and Roger Wilco

Guest BC

OK, I am missing something really obvious. My config consists of a WinXP machine running FS2K2 and Wide Server 5.5, FSUIPC2.975. I am using a Cirrus console with the PFC 1.5 driver.

My client machine running the matched Wideclient is a Win98SE deal.

They are connected through a Linksys wireless router and the network is good. I can run the sim on the XP machine and have FreeFD running on the client with no problems, as well as NAV.

My problem has to do with Roger Wilco. It happens that when I program a button on the yoke through the PFC interface to send PTT Roger Wilco via WideFS, nothing happens. It won't transmit. If I run RW on the XP machine and set the button to PTT RW Local, it works on the local machine.

What am I missing? It appears that the button/key send is not travelling through the router.

Is there a port I should open? This used to work for me when I networked through a straight hub/simple network, so I am led to believe that there is something in the router itself stopping button presses from getting through from the XP machine to the '98 machine.

I messed around with .ini settings tonight, no help. I had it working before without having to edit .ini files, so I don't know. Must be a safety feature of the router, but which one?

Any ideas?

BC

My problem has to do with Roger Wilco. It happens that when I program a button on the yoke through the PFC interface to send PTT Roger Wilco via WideFS, nothing happens. It won't transmit.

How are you configuring it? Are you assigning KeySends in the FSUIPC Buttons options pages, as described in the FSUIPC documentation, or doing it the older way, assigning the KeySends in the WideServer.ini? What settings have you got and do they match those you allocated in the WideClient.ini for "RWon" and "RWoff". Please cross-refer to the documentation which should be clear about all these, right down to the examples I added.

Is there a port I should open? This used to work for me when I networked through a straight hub/simple network, so I am led to believe that there is something in the router itself stopping button presses from getting through from the XP machine to the '98 machine.

WideServer does NOT send any button presses to clients. The KeySend mechanism is a way of sending allocated signals within the normal data distributed to clients. If your Client is receiving stuff for your applications it will receive KeySend parameters too as they are merely parts of the same data. It sounds like you simply have not defined matching KeySend numbers to operate RW.

Pete

Howdy Pete!

I am programming the button through the PFC interface, not the FSUIPC interface. This used to work. Now it doesn't. Previously, I had it working, but unfortunately, it's been a while since I used RW, so I am unclear as to when it stopped working.

I never had to do anything to any of the ini files to get this to work. It was actually idiot proof. I had (and have) a good wide server/client connection, previously, I assigned the right yoke button to "RW PTT (via WideFs)" in the PFC menu and shazam! It worked.

Now it does not. I tried an older PFC.dll, but no joy. I was going to try an older FSUIPC/server setup, but I don't see the links to the olde files on the site anymore, and naturally, I don't have any of the olde files saved....

Still dinking around trying to sort it out. Minor problem in the grand scale of things, but, you know. Could it be a glitch in the pfc.dll?

BC

I am programming the button through the PFC interface, not the FSUIPC interface. This used to work. Now it doesn't. Previously, I had it working, but unfortunately, it's been a while since I used RW, so I am unclear as to when it stopped working.

Ahsorry. I forgot completely about that special facility.

Yes, you are right. It doesn't work now because, since about version 5 of WideFS I had to make WideServer's main message processing 'window' (an invisible one) a "top level" window rather than one within FS's enclave. I clean forgot that PFC sends messages to the Window and now it can't find it.

I'm releasing an Interim version of PFC.DLL (1.53) with this fixed. The DLL now tries to find WideSever wherever it may be hiding! I've checked this here with RW on a Client and it works fine. Please take a look on the Schiratti site in a few hours or so.

Thanks for the good "catch"!

Pete

Hey Pete, Thanks for that. One snag, the new zip file is...0 bytes...

Not when it left here to over 50 sites, via my normal distribution method. The ZIP is 1.2 Mb or so. If you have problems downloading from any site you need to check with them. It may well be your caching not the site at all. I can't do anything myself, I have no web site.

Pete

Not to be a pain or anything, but this site was the only source I used to access your files (http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html) and it is a zero byte file. I flushed and dumped my cache, no joy.

Yeah, I downloaded it to check and it is definitely faulty on the Schiratti site. I did this immediately after replying to you and then immediately wrote to Enrico to tell him, but I assume he's out for the day/weekend with his family. Did you write?

Where else do you post it?

All my modules also go to Avsim, the PFC site itself (flypfc), and a load of others -- about 50 places altogether, all by request. Now some of those are software developers or magazines, not web-sites hosting files, but I don't know which are which without asking them. And I think many of the sites now either only post up selected modules (possibly only FSUIPC) or simply link back to Enrico's.

I can email it to you direct if you have no joy soon -- I did try attaching it here, but there seems to be a limit of 125kb on attachments so it wasn't accepted. Sorry.

Pete