The simFlight Network Forums

X52 Axis not recognized.

Hello,

I use X52 Saitek Joystick and I got a problem with the Throttle upper rotary axis wich is recognized by FS but not functional (FS display it but don't make use of it) and is not recognized at all by FSUIPC

This is the ONLY axis not recognized. All others are.

Here a screen to show you the reotary selector in blue.

throttle6it.jpg

I use X52 Saitek Joystick and I got a problem with the Throttle upper rotary axis wich is recognized by FS but not functional (FS display it but don't make use of it) and is not recognized at all by FSUIPC

FSUIPC doesn't recognise it where? In the Axis assignment facility (FSUIPC 3.60), or only in the Joystick Calibrations? If it is the former, then it seems like it isn't one of the standard 6 axes supported by the Windows joystick API (X Y Z R U V).

What puzzles me about what you say, though, is what you mean by FS displaying it but not making use of it -- how can it "display it" if you cannot assign it? Or do you mean you assign it okay, but it doesn't operate the thing you've assigned it to? If the latter then all that means, probably, that FS has got the sensitivity set to zero -- go to the Sensitivity slider and move it full right. Whilst you are there, move the null zone full left.

If that makes FS work with it, then it should also make FSUIPC's calibration section see it.

Regards,

Pete

First please excuse me for :

• [*:465c3]Not being able to explain my problem in a really clear way,
    [*:465c3]My really bad english

And thanks for your really quick answers, I'll try to explain the issue more clearly now.

FSUIPC doesn't recognise it where? In the Axis assignment facility (FSUIPC 3.60), or only in the Joystick Calibrations? If it is the former, then it seems like it isn't one of the standard 6 axes supported by the Windows joystick API (X Y Z R U V).

In Axis assignments... it work perfectly for all other axis but not for this one. I push "rescan" then move it, and this one is the only where this do nothing at all.

What puzzles me about what you say, though, is what you mean by FS displaying it but not making use of it -- how can it "display it" if you cannot assign it? Or do you mean you assign it okay, but it doesn't operate the thing you've assigned it to? If the latter then all that means, probably, that FS has got the sensitivity set to zero -- go to the Sensitivity slider and move it full right. Whilst you are there, move the null zone full left.

No, null zone is not defined at all, it just show as set but do not operate... I can set it but don't have any effects. I tried to set this axis into my Saitek profiler and it work, so I reset these settings and made it back being a normal axis... but change nothing.

If that makes FS work with it, then it should also make FSUIPC's calibration section see it.

It don't and what I want to say is that with X52 axis on throttle, FS is able to assign those but isn't able to... use them. They are defined in assignments but do not have any effect.

François Houlbrèque

In Axis assignments... it work perfectly for all other axis but not for this one. I push "rescan" then move it, and this one is the only where this do nothing at all.

In that case it is one of the axes not supported by the standard Windows joystick API, only DirectInput (DX). Sorry, FSUIPC does not use DirectX at all.

No, null zone is not defined at all, it just show as set but do not operate...

I only mentioned "null zone" to remind you to set it far left. It doesn't have to "operate". The main relevant part is the Sensitivity slider, which sounds as if it is full left -- which is zero sensitivity. Just set it full right. It looks like you skipped over the most important part of my reply.

It don't and what I want to say is that with X52 axis on throttle, FS is able to assign those but isn't able to... use them. They are defined in assignments but do not have any effect.

Check the sensitivity, as I already said.

Regards,

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting - I have spent the last few days trying to use this axis of my X52 as the steering tiller using the new Beta version.

To add to Francois' comments - both rotary axes on the X52 throttle [the other is below the highlighted control in the screenshot] can in fact be assigned directly in FS9. I have used the highlighted one for several months as a tiller by assigning it to rudder control in the FS9 assignments dialogue. FS9 also seems to retain the twist grip stick as a rudder control by default.

However, when using FSUIPC control, the highlighted rotary control is not recognised either in "assignment" or "calibration". Occasionally, when the control is first moved FSUIPC will assign a letter but that is all - the numbers do not change as the control is moved.

But of note, the other rotary axis control can be assigned using FSUIPC and works perfectly as a tiller. Not as easy to use but still effective.

I have no idea why the highlighted control cannot be assigned in FSUIPC - a quirk in the X52 software perhaps??

John Rooum

• 1 month later...
I have no idea why the highlighted control cannot be assigned in FSUIPC - a quirk in the X52 software perhaps??

I ran into this problem- the simple answer is that the Saitek X52 has 7 axis. FSUIPC only supports 6. Supporing more than this would require a significant change to FSUIPC.

The only way to get it to work is to let FS handle the axis assignment. This still allows you to customize it via FSUIPC.

Make sure you check that the sensitivity is set to 100% (it was 0% by default for me which resulted in the axis not doing much).

Cheers,

Niels