The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and data manipulation

Hello -

I am very new to using FSUIPC and was wondering the feasibility of using it for a current project.

What we want to do is extract realtime flight data with FSUIPC for an F16 and probably write this data to a shared memory space that can be read by another program. The other program will perform calculations on this data and then send data back (through FSUIPC?) to control an icon on the HUD.

Any help concerning the feasibility of this with FSUIPC is greatly appreciated!

- Chris Brenaman

What we want to do is extract realtime flight data with FSUIPC for an F16 and probably write this data to a shared memory space that can be read by another program.

Why the indirection? You'll be using shared memory with FSUIPC to read its data. It seems to be a waste having a program merely to pass data from one shared area to another. The interface to FSUIPC involves memory shared via the memory file system in Windows, the same as is used for most of the inter-process data passing in that environment.

The other program will perform calculations on this data and then send data back (through FSUIPC?) to control an icon on the HUD.

If the other program has an FSUIPC interface, then as I just said, it should be reading the data from FSUIPC in the first place. It would be wasteful to have a third program intervening.

What is providing the HUD and this Icon? If it is a gauge in FS, then you'd be better off doing most of this stuff in the gauge itself. I'm not sure how you'll get an existing FS gauge to respond to your inputs unless it is by changing something in FS which it is already reading.

Not knowing what data it is you wish to read and/or change I cannot really advise any further. I suggest you download the FSUIPC SDK from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson, and scan through the programmer's guide documentation you'll find therein.

Regards,

Pete