The simFlight Network Forums

Propeller feathering

I made a throttle quadrant for flight sim. It works fine except I can't get the propeller levers in FS to go past the low rpm setting and into feather. I'm using FSUIPC 3.44. You helped me fix this problem several years ago but I reload Windows XP and I forgot what I had done to fix it.

Also I had added rudder trim and can't seem to make it work again. I read the documentation and added RudderTrimControl=66429 to FSUIPC.INI. Do I need to add or change something in FS Cfg?

Where do I find FS Cfg?

I made a throttle quadrant for flight sim. It works fine except I can't get the propeller levers in FS to go past the low rpm setting and into feather. I'm using FSUIPC 3.44. You helped me fix this problem several years ago but I reload Windows XP and I forgot what I had done to fix it.

First, please note that 3.44 is very old now and not supported. Current is 3.60, though you can download a better, later one here in the Interim Versions announcement.

Assuming you only have the one prop pitch lever, go to FSUIPC's Joystick calibrations and map the single prop to 4 props. then page forward to the 4 props page and calibrate it on that page, with the centre zone being your idle rpm setting.

Also I had added rudder trim and can't seem to make it work again. I read the documentation and added RudderTrimControl=66429 to FSUIPC.INI. Do I need to add or change something in FS Cfg?

No. Control 66429 is Throttle4. Just assign your rudder trim axis to throttle 4 in FS then calibrate the rudder trim in FSUIPC.

If you use the latest FSUIPC you can assign these axes directly, without allocating "false" axes via FSUIPC.INI and FS assignments. Take a look. It is much easier.

It pays to keep up to date with this software. Regular perusal here to see what updates may be available, and what the new facilities are, should prove very useful to you.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, thanks for the quick reply.

I updated to FSUIPC 3.6 and that solved the rudder trim problem.

But the propeller feathering is the same. My throttle quadrant has two prop levers. I calibrated them on page 5 and they work fine except they won't go past the low rpm setting into the feather range. If I have the default Baron in 2D mode with the Throttle quadrant displayed and pull one of my prop levers all the way back the lever on the screen stops just before the red feather area. Then if I push ctrl+f2 on the keyboard the lever moves into the red area and the prop feathers.

Like I said before I had it working before I reloaded windows but can't remember what I did.

Thanks for your time.

If I have the default Baron in 2D mode with the Throttle quadrant displayed and pull one of my prop levers all the way back the lever on the screen stops just before the red feather area.

Sounds like you simply need to recalibrate in FSUIPC. Follow all the steps again -- the idle area, where it currently stops, is the "centre" which should have two distinct values. The minimum calibrated value is the bottom of the 'feathered' zone.

Pete