The simFlight Network Forums

Axis Labels

I don't change assignments very often. But when I do I always seem to have a problem which elevator trim to use. The labels are the same in one case.

Any chance to clarify this in the next release? It's the only issue I've ever had with this product.

Thank you Peter!!

I don't change assignments very often. But when I do I always seem to have a problem which elevator trim to use. The labels are the same in one case.

Sorry, how many elevator trims are you seeing, and where are you actually looking?

Any chance to clarify this in the next release?

I'd need to understand what you are asking first. If you are talking about control lists, they are extracted from the FS module "CONTROLS.DLL" -- that's how they are specific to each FS release. In that list the only ones I am aware of are:

Elev trim up

Elev trim dn

Elevator trim set

Axis elev trim set

The first two are the equivalent of the keyboard 1 and 7 keys (on the number pad), and the "Set" ones are both Axis controls, needing a parameter and normally assigned to a lever. All "set" controls are like that.

The only reason there are two axis controls (as there are for pretty much every main control) is that the ones starting "Axis ..." are new ones added in, I think, FS2002, apparently by a new programmer in the FS team who hadn't realised, I think, that they were already all there since FS98. It was done at the time they changed FS from using the standard Windows joystick API (which FSUIPC still uses) to using DirectInput.

So, please explain what is confusing you, and why Elevator Trim only when I think there are similar variations for most of the main aircraft controls.

Regards,

Pete

Looking around at the list you're right Peter. There are similar issues for a number of controls. Elevator trim was the one I always get stuck on.

Using 3.601 and FS9.1 ....

Elev Up

Elev Down

Elevator Up

Elevator Down

Elevator Set

Elevator Trim Set

Also

Airelon Right

Airelon Left

Airelons Right

Airelons Left

Spoiler Dec

Spoiler Inc

Spoilers Arm Off

Spoilers Arm On

Spoilers Arm Set

Spoilers Arm Toggle

Spoilers Set

Seeing now that you are extracting the names from a DLL helps a bit. In the above list I can manage to figure out most of these fairly easily. It's the similarity in naming that causes confusion, plural vs singular.

Double-checking I note well that you did document the axis' labels as part of the section on assignments for yoke and pedals. That did help me a lot in my efforts. Any hope for more descriptions for other parts?

WRT "set" commands. I knew they'd have to take a value, but not that they were related to "axis" commands. Had thought the "set" was for some programmatic control and "axis" for binding to a input device.

As always, very appreciative of the work you do!!