The simFlight Network Forums

Suggestion for ShortAircraftNameOk

Pete,

While ShortAircraftNameOk is a great feature, I have a suggestion to make it even better. :wink:

What I really care about is the aircraft TYPE (i.e. 737, 747, etc) when I'm matching aircraft to a particular configuration. Unfortunately, the aircraft title (as listed in aircraft.cfg, and which FSUIPC seems to key on) varies wildly by vendor (and even _within_ a vendor! - for example, PMDG).

My suggestion is: create a new .ini setting to allow ShortAircraftNameOk to perform a _substring_ search within the title.

Now, fortunately, I do have a viable workaround: I have edited all of my aircraft.cfg files such that have a consistent title prefix.

Let me know what you think...

Thanks!

- Bill

What I really care about is the aircraft TYPE (i.e. 737, 747, etc) when I'm matching aircraft to a particular configuration. Unfortunately, the aircraft title (as listed in aircraft.cfg, and which FSUIPC seems to key on) varies wildly by vendor (and even _within_ a vendor! - for example, PMDG).

It isn't just FSUIPC which 'keys' on the aircraft title, it's the whole system -- that's how FS identifies the aircraft from the FLT file when that's loaded. It is that which gives it a place in the selection dialogue.

There is a TYPE variable, but that is obtained later, after the loading is complete -- I need to switch things a little earlier. Also the TYPE is one used for ATC and can sometimes be misleading.

My suggestion is: create a new .ini setting to allow ShortAircraftNameOk to perform a _substring_ search within the title.

Oh, right. Still using the title.Yes, that would be easy enough. I'll make a note for the next update.

Thanks,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...