The simFlight Network Forums

Performance Question

I notice that in FS-Interrogate II, that the data included in the .FSI does not include the actual TOKEN var or ID, filled in. I am guess this is because once people start accessing variables through FSUIPC they find it easier/more effective, and then don't bother doing it using the actual token variables themselves defined in gauge.h.

This leads to my question. From within a .gau dll, if I am reading data, is there much if any performance hit using FSUIPC vs. using lookup_var()?

How about the difference between writing using FSUIPC and using trigger_key_event() where available?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Patrick

I notice that in FS-Interrogate II, that the data included in the .FSI does not include the actual TOKEN var or ID, filled in.

What token or ID? The only identification for FSUIPC offsets is the offset, a hexadecimal number.

I am guess this is because once people start accessing variables through FSUIPC they find it easier/more effective, and then don't bother doing it using the actual token variables themselves defined in gauge.h.

There's a superficial relationship between some of the Gauge token variables and FSUIPC offsets, of course, but FSUIPC's data was defined from original FS98 global data structures, not from the Panels interpretation of them. Furthermore, except in a few cases, FSUIPC gets the stuff direct from the Sim Engine (SIM1.DLL) not via the Panels route, which can be rather precarious as it is only fully viable whilst an aircraft is loaded and ready, not the whole time FS is running.

This leads to my question. From within a .gau dll, if I am reading data, is there much if any performance hit using FSUIPC vs. using lookup_var()?

That depends entirely on your programming techniques, really, as the methods are different. But if you can get everything through the panels interface, please do so. I never intended or designed FSUIPC to be used for Gauges -- the latter should be fully supported by FS itself, and that is the correct thing to do.

How about the difference between writing using FSUIPC and using trigger_key_event() where available?

Same. Please write gauges as Microsoft intended. Don't use FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete